Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive Issues on MacOS Sierra

Hello All,

Just some background, I got a WD 2TB External Drive about 4-5 years ago for my Mac to store movies and such, and I've never had issues with it before, but now when I plug it in I find that finder is extremely unresponsive and has a ton of trouble opening the device.

My mac knows that the HDD is there the second I plug it in, but when I click on it, finder stalls and opening even a single folder on the drive can take up to 5-10 minutes.

I attempted to do first aid on disk repair, but I got an error because Disk Repair was unable to unmount the device.

Additionally, if I yank out the hard drive, finder and any slowed applications go back to being responsive instantly. Also, for some reason my mac still thinks the drive is there, because it still appears in finder and I have to click "force eject" in order to remove the icon.

Computer: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

External Hard Drive: WD My Passport for Mac 2TB Portable External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 (http://a.co/bwXUzYc)

I've looked at similar questions to mine on this website, but unfortunately not many of the answers were possible because of the slow responsiveness on my mac. Has anyone on here experienced a similar issue to mine?

Thank you for the assistance!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 23, 2018 8:09 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 23, 2018 8:20 AM in response to Anon29111

I attempted to do first aid on disk repair, but I got an error because Disk Repair was unable to unmount the device.

Have you tried Booting in Safe Mode, then launching Disk Utility (before doing any other activity than might involve the disk). Being unable to unmount has likely to do with active processes doing something with the disk, so prevent non-essential processes from running before you do your check.

External Hard Drive Issues on MacOS Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.