Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch for a 10 year old

I was thinking of getting a apple watch for my 10 year olds birthday. My intent is piece of mind when he goes to a friends house or rides his bike around the neighborhood. Along with him knowing he can get a hold of me if needed or vise versa. Also has GPS for tracking him. Plus it has the time(for when he has to know when to come back home). I have a few questions. 1) does he have to have a iphone along with the watch or can he just have the watch only. If not, can I track where he is at on my iphone easily. 2) I already have a Apple watch series 3 connected to my iphone. Can I have his Apple watch series 3 connected to mine also. If so, can the iphone distinguish the difference between them(he has his own Apple ID already from having an ipad mini). Any answers are appreciated.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 4.3

Posted on Apr 24, 2018 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2018 7:43 AM

Leaving the cost and fragile nature of the watch aside for as moment.

1. Depends on the type of watch.

The Series 3 GPS+Cellular does not require an iPhone nearby to get calls or messages, but will only get the calls and messages from the paired iPhone. If its paired with your iPhone the watch will get the calls and messages that come in to your iPhone. The watch does not get a separate number.

The Series 3 GPS only Apple watch requires an iPhone be nearby, or connection to a Wifi network, to get calls and messages which possibly will not be available when he's outside riding his bike, but again will get the calls and messages that come in to the paired iPhone.

2. Yes. You can pair more than one Apple Watch to an iPhone. But again, it will be getting your calls and messages. And will be using your Apple ID, since its paired to your iPhone. Use more than one Apple Watch with your iPhone - Apple Support

The watch is designed to be used by the same person that owns the phone. So not likely to work for what you want.

There are other smart watches that can be connected to an iPhone and tracked and ones designed for children.

http://www.smartwatches4u.com/news/Top-Kids-GPS-Tracking-Smartwatches

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2018 7:43 AM in response to fishing4me2

Leaving the cost and fragile nature of the watch aside for as moment.

1. Depends on the type of watch.

The Series 3 GPS+Cellular does not require an iPhone nearby to get calls or messages, but will only get the calls and messages from the paired iPhone. If its paired with your iPhone the watch will get the calls and messages that come in to your iPhone. The watch does not get a separate number.

The Series 3 GPS only Apple watch requires an iPhone be nearby, or connection to a Wifi network, to get calls and messages which possibly will not be available when he's outside riding his bike, but again will get the calls and messages that come in to the paired iPhone.

2. Yes. You can pair more than one Apple Watch to an iPhone. But again, it will be getting your calls and messages. And will be using your Apple ID, since its paired to your iPhone. Use more than one Apple Watch with your iPhone - Apple Support

The watch is designed to be used by the same person that owns the phone. So not likely to work for what you want.

There are other smart watches that can be connected to an iPhone and tracked and ones designed for children.

http://www.smartwatches4u.com/news/Top-Kids-GPS-Tracking-Smartwatches

Apr 24, 2018 7:33 AM in response to fishing4me2

I am not an expert on this but somebody else asked a similar question not long ago. I'd check reception in your area. I recall it being posted that the watch's ability to connect to cellular directly is limited.

Frankly, I am wondering if an Apple Watch is a wise purchase for a 10 year old child. It's an expensive and delicate piece of electronics. I'd be more inclined to go with a cheap no-contract phone. It may not have GPS but tell your son if you are calling you expect him to answer.

Apr 24, 2018 12:26 PM in response to Branta_uk

Branta_uk wrote:

@Phil0124 - I think that is a great summary of the technical reasons why this might not be the best idea. Depending on the neighborhood there is also a safety concern which should be considered before putting a high value device on the wrist of a relatively vulnerable 10 year old.

Thanks and Indeed that is also a consideration.

Apr 24, 2018 12:36 PM in response to fishing4me2

Depending on who your cellular carrier is, you may have better options. Verizon (and possibly other carriers) offers something called the LG Gizmo Pal (and Gizmo Gadget). They are standalone, wrist-worn devices designed for exactly what you want to do. And, they're $79 (plus cost of service). Also, much, much more durable than an Apple Watch.

Apr 24, 2018 4:43 PM in response to fishing4me2

You cannot use the watch separate from an iPhone. It cannot have its own number. It is not a standalone cell phone. It requires a paired iPhone to setup, and function. Even the GPS+Cellular Series 3 Apple Watch.

Even when the paired iPhone is not nearby, calls made by the iPhone's number will be received by the Watch The Apple Watch will have the same number as the paired iPhone as that is the way the carriers set it up.

ie. calls to the iPhone ring on the Apple watch and as such the phone number would be the same.

The watch may get a unique number for billing purposes from the cellular carrier, but much like the number assigned to a cellular iPad calls and messages would not be able to be placed to that number. It's merely a billing ID.

There is no way for an Apple Watch to have its own cell number. and it cannot be used as a standalone cell device.

Apple Watch for a 10 year old

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.