Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder slow to refresh

Since High Sierra, my finder has been acting weird. When I download a file, there is a lag for it to appear in the Download folder... sometimes as long as minutes. Apparently, I'm not the only one either:

Desktop slow to refresh | Page 3 | MacRumors Forums

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there any way to report this as a bug to Apple to fix it? It is seriously annoying and I can't believe how badly implemented High Sierra is.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), imac (2011) - 3.4 GHz i7, 8GB RAM

Posted on Apr 25, 2018 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2018 6:58 PM

Hi,

I have no encountered that problem on High Sierra at all.

Might be corrupted Finder preferences.

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Click Go then move the com.apple.finder.plist file to the Trash.

Restart your Mac then try the Finder.

If that doesn't help, a Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that can help after updating or upgrading macOS.

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The white Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

Then try the Finder again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2018 6:58 PM in response to keithlim

Hi,

I have no encountered that problem on High Sierra at all.

Might be corrupted Finder preferences.

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Click Go then move the com.apple.finder.plist file to the Trash.

Restart your Mac then try the Finder.

If that doesn't help, a Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that can help after updating or upgrading macOS.

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The white Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

Then try the Finder again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Finder slow to refresh

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.