Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enter Password to Unlock Backup

I do not remember creating a password for my backup and am being asked to Enter Password to Unlock Backup.

how do I go about it since i did not create a password for it.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Apr 26, 2018 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2018 7:39 AM

See : https://support.apple.com/kb/HT205220

You can’t restore an encrypted backup without its password. With iOS 11 or later, you can make a new encrypted backup of your device by resetting the password. Here’s what to do:

1. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Reset.
  2. Tap Reset All Settings and enter your iOS passcode.
  3. Follow the steps to reset your settings. This won't affect your user data or passwords, but it will reset settings like display brightness, Home screen layout, and wallpaper. It also removes your encrypted backup password.
  4. Connect your device to iTunes again and create a new encrypted backup.

You won't be able to use previous encrypted backups, but you can back up your current data using iTunes and setting a new backup password.If you have a device with iOS 10 or earlier, you can't reset the password. In this case, try the following:

• If someone else set up your device, ask them for the password.
  • Use an iCloud backup instead of iTunes. If you don't have an iCloud backup, you can make one.
  • Try using an older iTunes backup.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2018 7:39 AM in response to chalzfromaccra

See : https://support.apple.com/kb/HT205220

You can’t restore an encrypted backup without its password. With iOS 11 or later, you can make a new encrypted backup of your device by resetting the password. Here’s what to do:

1. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Reset.
  2. Tap Reset All Settings and enter your iOS passcode.
  3. Follow the steps to reset your settings. This won't affect your user data or passwords, but it will reset settings like display brightness, Home screen layout, and wallpaper. It also removes your encrypted backup password.
  4. Connect your device to iTunes again and create a new encrypted backup.

You won't be able to use previous encrypted backups, but you can back up your current data using iTunes and setting a new backup password.If you have a device with iOS 10 or earlier, you can't reset the password. In this case, try the following:

• If someone else set up your device, ask them for the password.
  • Use an iCloud backup instead of iTunes. If you don't have an iCloud backup, you can make one.
  • Try using an older iTunes backup.

Enter Password to Unlock Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.