Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Airport Express Replacement

I have about a dozen non-airplay speakers that I connect to from iTunes.

Now that the Airport Express is being killed, what can I use to still be able to stream to all my speakers?

Any help is much appreciated

iMac, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Apr 27, 2018 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2018 9:18 AM

If you are currently relying on AirPlay / AirPort Express base stations for streaming to your "non-AirPlay" speakers, there are no known (AFAIK) "replacements" for the Express which is a combination wireless router and AirPlay "client."

If you wish to continue to want to use these speakers, you basically only have two options (currently):

1. Purchase additional Express base stations as spares until they are no longer available, or
  2. Use another AirPlay client, like an audio receiver that is AirPlay-enabled. In turn, your speakers would need to be connected to that receiver. FWIW, I used to have an all home audio system that used multiple speakers throughout the house. These feed back to a Denon amplifier with a companion AVR. At that time, the AVR was not AirPlay-enabled, so I connected an audio cable from an Express to the AVR's digital-optical input. I would then stream to the Express and play music throughout the house. Today, you can find numerous AVRs that are AirPlay-enabled.
16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2018 9:18 AM in response to terryzx

If you are currently relying on AirPlay / AirPort Express base stations for streaming to your "non-AirPlay" speakers, there are no known (AFAIK) "replacements" for the Express which is a combination wireless router and AirPlay "client."

If you wish to continue to want to use these speakers, you basically only have two options (currently):

1. Purchase additional Express base stations as spares until they are no longer available, or
  2. Use another AirPlay client, like an audio receiver that is AirPlay-enabled. In turn, your speakers would need to be connected to that receiver. FWIW, I used to have an all home audio system that used multiple speakers throughout the house. These feed back to a Denon amplifier with a companion AVR. At that time, the AVR was not AirPlay-enabled, so I connected an audio cable from an Express to the AVR's digital-optical input. I would then stream to the Express and play music throughout the house. Today, you can find numerous AVRs that are AirPlay-enabled.

Apr 27, 2018 8:36 PM in response to terryzx

Your current Express can continue to serve the purpose.. perhaps for many years to come if relatively new. Buy some new ones now so you have a stock of them.. support will continue for several years even when sales cease.

There is nothing else on the market that fits the Express role.

There are costly substitutes and more of these will doubtless become available.

Whether another manufacturer will step into Apple's shoes and provide a relatively cheap unit is open to question. Some of the system would be under license I expect.

You will need to buy speakers that have inbuilt airplay.

Or you need to swap to different system.. like Sonos.

Or receivers with inbuilt airplay that can send signal to multiple speakers.

Apple maybe is hoping you will buy many many home pods.

HomePod - Apple (AU)

Apr 27, 2018 9:04 PM in response to terryzx

Have a search around.. I can find wifi and bluetooth systems.. that would be possible to integrate with the Mac using alternative to airplay perhaps.. airfoil, air parrot etc.

Mini Audiocast Music Box Wifi Wireless Airplay DLNA Streaming Receiver Player | eBay

I suspect these will in no way substitute for express. That is why I said you will need to rethink it anyway.

Also finding actual reviews of some of the cheap Chinese knock offs is going to be hard.. you might need to buy one .. and give it a whirl.

Apple Airport Express Replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.