Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Limit ad tracking turning off on its own everytime

Just to point out first that this is not about the problem of unable to turn on/off limit ad tracking or it is grey-out.

I can turn on and off in limit ad tracking. But the problem is that when limit ad tracking is on, for some reason it will turn off on its own after some time. Anyone know whats the cause of it?

I am getting tired of turning on limit ad tracking everyday, might be thinking of turning it off forever. Will there be any effect since I don’t really experience the effect of limit ad tracking, because I don’t see any ads flying around when its off.

*Iphone 7, newest version of IOS

*I have tried reset networking, re-login all emails, delete safari history and data.

Posted on Apr 27, 2018 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2018 11:39 AM

This appears to be a bug in 11.3.1 however users of other versions are experiencing the same problem. It is important that you report this issue to technical support as they need to know about the issue in order to rectify it.

I have posted this elsewhere, but will repost for your convenience.

'Limit Ad Tracking' is tied to your Apple ID and functions as follows.

1) If you are signed in with an Apple ID:

The 'Limit Ad Tracking' toggle is subject to the Apple ID advertising platform preference, and not the device you are using. Restrictions cannot override this. For example, if you toggle ON 'Limit Ad Tracking' then activate Restrictions for Advertising, the 'Limit Ad Tracking' toggle will become faded but still visible as green (ON). Now if the 'Limit Ad Tracking' advertising platform preference that is tied to your Apple ID is set to OFF, then when you exit Settings and relaunch Settings you will see the toggle has changed despite being Restricted (only if you are experiencing the bug). The key here is the spinning wheel on the toggle when you relaunch Settings, this indicates communication with the Apple Advertising Platform is taking place, and Settings is requesting information on the advertising platform preference tied to the Apple ID for 'Limit Ad Tracking'.

2) If you are NOT signed in with an Apple ID:

Or if you are signed in but then sign out, the toggle is subject to the Device setting. Restrictions will then be obeyed until you sign in with an Apple ID, at which point the Apple ID advertising platform preference for 'Limit Ad Tracking' becomes master again.

"If you chose to enable Limit Ad Tracking, Apple’s advertising platform will opt your Apple ID out of receiving ads targeted to your interests regardless of what device you are using."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205223

Currently there appears to be a bug, whereby some users cannot change their global preference for Limit Ad Tracking tied to their Apple ID.

Be forewarned, you will be hard pressed to find anyone at Apple Support who will understand even the basics of how this works. Only the people at Apple Engineering will understand, and you cannot speak to them directly, so you will have to communicate through their archaic man in the middle system.

Have fun :/

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2018 11:39 AM in response to Diupine

This appears to be a bug in 11.3.1 however users of other versions are experiencing the same problem. It is important that you report this issue to technical support as they need to know about the issue in order to rectify it.

I have posted this elsewhere, but will repost for your convenience.

'Limit Ad Tracking' is tied to your Apple ID and functions as follows.

1) If you are signed in with an Apple ID:

The 'Limit Ad Tracking' toggle is subject to the Apple ID advertising platform preference, and not the device you are using. Restrictions cannot override this. For example, if you toggle ON 'Limit Ad Tracking' then activate Restrictions for Advertising, the 'Limit Ad Tracking' toggle will become faded but still visible as green (ON). Now if the 'Limit Ad Tracking' advertising platform preference that is tied to your Apple ID is set to OFF, then when you exit Settings and relaunch Settings you will see the toggle has changed despite being Restricted (only if you are experiencing the bug). The key here is the spinning wheel on the toggle when you relaunch Settings, this indicates communication with the Apple Advertising Platform is taking place, and Settings is requesting information on the advertising platform preference tied to the Apple ID for 'Limit Ad Tracking'.

2) If you are NOT signed in with an Apple ID:

Or if you are signed in but then sign out, the toggle is subject to the Device setting. Restrictions will then be obeyed until you sign in with an Apple ID, at which point the Apple ID advertising platform preference for 'Limit Ad Tracking' becomes master again.

"If you chose to enable Limit Ad Tracking, Apple’s advertising platform will opt your Apple ID out of receiving ads targeted to your interests regardless of what device you are using."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205223

Currently there appears to be a bug, whereby some users cannot change their global preference for Limit Ad Tracking tied to their Apple ID.

Be forewarned, you will be hard pressed to find anyone at Apple Support who will understand even the basics of how this works. Only the people at Apple Engineering will understand, and you cannot speak to them directly, so you will have to communicate through their archaic man in the middle system.

Have fun :/

Apr 27, 2018 7:37 PM in response to Diupine

Some websites will not allow you on their site if you have ad tracking off and in their terms of use you end up allowing them to turn it off. Also some employers use it so if you have a work email on your iPhone they may be turning it back on. Be sure to read the entire terms of use for any website you use before agreeing.

Apr 27, 2018 7:56 PM in response to deggie

Hi thank you for answering my question, I can more or less understand what you are trying to tell but just to be sure can you check your answer sentenses again? Because you seemed to mis-write the on and off part? Like your first sentense saying website will not allow me to browse if my ad tracking is off, instead of turning on?

Apr 27, 2018 8:11 PM in response to deggie

Yes it was clear somehow, I just wanted to be sure because if you read your first reply you wrote:

Some websites will not allow you on their site if you have ad tracking OFF”. on or off?

some employers use it so if you have a work email on your iPhone they may be turning it back ON”. on or off?

May 13, 2018 12:15 PM in response to somni461

Firstly I want to thank you for replying this clearly, but sadly since I’m not that good at tech stuffs so I can only understand half of your reply. Aside from the restriction function inside Iphone since my restriction on my phone is off, what you are saying is the reason why limit ad tracking turning off on its own is due to bug in current ios version right?

Limit ad tracking turning off on its own everytime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.