Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect 2 Bluetooth headphones to Apple TV 4K?

The main reason I purchased the Apple TV 4K was for this feature it claimed to have: It could finally connect 2 Bluetooth headphones! Finally my wife and I would be able to blast the sound of a good action movie at midnight, without waking up our 9 year old. And yes indeed, we could both connect our high end headphones to the Apple TV 4K. Only to find out 3 seconds later that only one of us could actually hear the sound of the movie. So it appears that although it is possible to connect 2 headphones, the Apple TV 4k only allows audio output to one headphone at a time.

Is anyone having the same experience? Was anyone successful in connecting 2 headphones and hearing sound in both? Thank you for the help.

Posted on Apr 28, 2018 12:25 AM

6 replies

Apr 28, 2018 3:05 AM in response to jean-michel0807

I'm not able to see where Apple state you can use 2 BT headsets, you appear to be saying you have seen this claim, perhaps you could point us to where you have seen it. It doesn't make any such claim here...

Use Bluetooth accessories with your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation) - Apple Support

Also, whilst I haven't read up exactly what the BT 5 standard includes for, it strikes me that if it's supposed to support 2 connections as you state, then it appears to do that admirably for me as I have previously successfully connected a BT headset at the same time as my Siri BT remote is connected.

Apr 28, 2018 12:53 AM in response to jean-michel0807

Bluetooth is a one-on-one connection protocol by design, so what you want is actually what it isn’t supposed to do.

There are aftermarket dual bluetooth transmitters (e.g. Coulax, Avantree) that will plug in to your tv or receiver (thus not connect directly to the Apple TV) and support two bluetooth headphones. Check for low latency specification and the dual headphone support.

Apr 28, 2018 3:17 AM in response to jean-michel0807

I stand corrected. There is BT5 in the 5th gen.

Back to the headphones: With Bluetooth 5, nothing has changed to Bluetooth Classic; the changes are with Bluetooth Low Energy. The connecting bluetooth devices (headphones, speakers) have to be BT5 LE as well for the new features to be even possible. That likely means buying new ones to that spec. And the OS has to support this feature to provide a configuration for this feature.

(It appears Samsung has made its own adjustments for dual audio, it is not doing it with only vanilla Bluetooth 5.)

How to connect 2 Bluetooth headphones to Apple TV 4K?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.