Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Win 10 Bootcamp won't boot after forced Windows Update

My Bootcamp partition of Windows 10 won't boot up after Windows Update installs the latest Windows OS (v1709). It gets to the blue startup screen, then keeps cycling itself of and restarting.

This problem has been recurring since Windows 10 updated to v1709 last Fall. It seems to be an issue caused by windows update. I can downgrade to 1703 and it works fine for a while, then upgrades and subsequently refuses to boot. What I do now is, on the Mac OS side, make a full clone of my Widows install using Winclone. Then when Windows fails to boot, I restore Windows from the backup. It will work for a few reboots until windows update mucks it up again. I've tried everything to prevent it from updating, even calling windows tech support and having them disable the v1709 update, and manually turning off Windows update, but without fail it turns itself back on, updates, and then fails to boot. I suspect it's related to a Bootcamp driver not being compatible with the latest Windows 10 version.

I've called Apple about it but they fail to acknowledge the problem. Microsoft wasn't much help either.

I'm on the latest 2017 27" iMac running High Sierra, so it's not an issue about running Win 10 on older hardware.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), Bootcamp running Windows 10 v1709

Posted on Apr 28, 2018 7:17 PM

Similar questions

30 replies

May 8, 2018 12:18 AM in response to Shams Shirley

I seem to have exactly the same problem as you. I read also your thread from february. My new IMAC 5K from 2017 refuses to run with bootcamp anymore. I have also same startup loop like you. Yesterday I did a new bootcamp partition and after installing some software again I am stuck in this loop.

I suspect power management and/or USB-C to cause the problem. But even change some parameters in windows 10 concerning power management did not help.

I will follow your idea and look for a 1703 and try to disable updates. I have Windows home, so there are forced updates. Only with Windows Pro it can be avoided to get updates. So if 1703 will work for some time and then crash after update I consider to buy a Win Pro license.

Whats about Windows7? Does it make sense to install Win 7 with bootcamp (is it even possible)?

To solve the problem I have no idea. My computer works perfectly under bootcamp when it just starts and runs. It never crashed or showed erratic behaviour and I even use the Oculus Rift a lot, which needs the **** of a power.

I hope LonerT can give some suggestions and otherwise Shirley I hope we share experience what to do, because we sit in the same boat here.

May 8, 2018 4:19 AM in response to jochengermany

Some updates can be controlled using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc). Many have run into issues with 1709/1803 including Bluetooth 4/LE updates on iMacs.

Look at bootcampdrivers.com and test if the updated AMD drivers cause some of the crashes to stop.

W7 cannot be installed via Bootcamp on 2015 or later Macs. However, you can use a Virtual Engine to run W7 as a VM.

May 8, 2018 9:30 AM in response to Loner T

I did download the AMD drivers from bootcamp.com a few months ago and and installed them, but still have the boot cycling problem.

Regarding virtual engines, yes, I can run win 10 (or 7) in a VM and it works fine. I need it to run natively though.

I have just upgraded Windows to the new 1803 release. So far it had persisted through two reboots. I'll report back on results once I know for sure whether it is working.

May 9, 2018 12:25 AM in response to Loner T

The mess startet vor me about 2 months ago with Bluetooth. My mouse was not any more detected. So I use cable mouse and plug the keyboard into USB now. I did not download drivers from bootcampdrivers so far. So you really recommend to use them?

My system has just the problem of not make a properly shutdown and restart itself. Of course I boot then Mac OS and shutdown properly. But windows considers not shutting down as critical error and after some time refuses to start, repair, and whatever else could be done. When I run Windows it never crashes, even with some fancy applications like the very demanding Oculus Rift, which itself is not very much stable.

May 9, 2018 12:28 AM in response to Shams Shirley

Ah - this is promising! You suffered the 1803! I now deal with 1703 and try to tame this beast by avoiding updates, which directly kill my system. Also I feel that every time I reinstall windows I lose more and more data ( in germany we say that three times relocate is like one time burn down.). I just intall a few games on windows now and of course the Oculus Rift, but put all other stuff on the apple side or dont use anymore.

By the way: you are not the famous Shirley Sham from China, right?

May 9, 2018 9:02 PM in response to Loner T

i have done it both ways, both installing the drivers first and updatng the OS first. It fails to reboot when both 1) it is updated to W10 1709 and 2) the Apple-supplied boot camp drivers are installed. I have also downloaded the video driver from bootcampdrivers.com and installed them, but the computer still fails to reboot.

In all cases there is no sudden crash. The computer runs fine until I reboot it, then it fails to start up and stops on a blue screen And shuts down.

May 10, 2018 10:01 AM in response to Loner T

It just goes into this Windows menu: How to Get to Windows 10's Advanced Startup Options Menu

From there you can choose many repair options, but noone would work.

Before this the boot process works exactly until the last moment, when the screen gets black and the windows login mask appears. Exactly there it stops and restarts and then goes into the repair menu again. I guess this is what Shirley calls the boot cycle.

After I used 1703 my windows starts properly so far. No problem.

May 11, 2018 12:05 AM in response to Loner T

Yes I can always do a SMC Reset. My screenshot also shows a window after booting macOS. I can just click it away and this is finished. macOS always boots and shuts down properly and fast.

I suppose the USB power management is responsible for the mess with windows. Yesterday I could not shut down windows and I forgot to disconnect the external harddrive. When I unplugged it from USB windows finished shut down within 3 seconds.

The only critical failures in windows logfiles are about windows not properly shutting down. If ist once let me login it is stable and smooth. I yesterday played even Fallout 4 with Oculus Rift, which is very demanding and had no problem.

May 13, 2018 1:36 AM in response to Loner T

By the way: I could use one old post from you about Bootcamp, where you recommend to reset Controller and disconnect from net before installing bootcamp. So I at least can reinstall Bootcamp now whenever I want.

I checked the net for forced updates and there is a workaround, which only is possible to do when you have Windows Pro. So after my next crash I will buy a Pro license.

Shirley said in her last post that she uses 1803 with some success. Would be nice to hear if she still can work.

I still guess it has to do with power management and USB connections. All critical failures in windows protocol are about this and no other problems.

May 13, 2018 6:23 AM in response to jochengermany

jochengermany wrote:

By the way: I could use one old post from you about Bootcamp, where you recommend to reset Controller and disconnect from net before installing bootcamp. So I at least can reinstall Bootcamp now whenever I want.

I checked the net for forced updates and there is a workaround, which only is possible to do when you have Windows Pro. So after my next crash I will buy a Pro license.

You may be able to add gpedit.msc to a Windows Home installation, instead of spending money on a Pro license. See [Windows Tip] How to Install and Enable “Group Policy Editor” (gpedit.msc) in Home Edition as an example.

jochengermany wrote:

I still guess it has to do with power management and USB connections. All critical failures in windows protocol are about this and no other problems.

If you have external USB peripherals, does the behavior change if you remove such devices?

May 14, 2018 12:40 AM in response to Loner T

Thank you for the tipp with gpedit. I will follow this and try to prevent windows from the updates.

Concerning USB I am not sure. Since my Windows was unstable I every time checked it and disconnect all USB before start and shutdown. I am not sure it helps or not.

Those days I bough winclone 6. I now save an image of my bootcamp partition. A bit strange is that Winclone saves this image on an MacOS formatted drive, but the original data format is NTFS. I hope it can restore this when I need it.

Do you have experience with Winclone 6?

May 15, 2018 1:36 AM in response to Loner T

I did yesterday the image save with winclone 6. Hope it can restore if I need it, because it will need to access the bootcamp partition, which seems to be read only, because it is formatted in NTFS.

Other feedback for you: I had no crashes after following Shirleys advice with 1703 image. I installed some games and also the Oculus Rift software and all went well.

Next step is to follow your advice with the group editor to stop updates and also I dare to install the GPU drivers from bootcamp.com. So far I used the drivers apple install for bootcamp, it is version 6.3.

Win 10 Bootcamp won't boot after forced Windows Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.