Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ALAC on 2 computers

Hi all!

I'm here again with my old iTunes-library problem:

I have a growing collection of high-res- and ALAC-files (I buy them at Bandcamp etc.), stored on a external harddisk (Which also contains the family-member's respective iTunes media folders), and I would like to listen to them in lossless-quality both at home and at my workshop/atelier when I'm there.

I the meantime, I'd want to keep track of play-counts, ratings etc. for the generation of most of my intelligent playlists.

Until now, I tried a few methods to have consistent itunes-libraries and lossless music at both places. None are working very well:

• upload new additions to dropbox/google drive/icloud and manually insert them to my workshop's tunes-music folder is extremely cumbersome, and the automatic download of new music from apple (in 256medium quality) only to replace it is bandwidth- and energy-waste.
  • mirror the iTunes music folder with a specialized app (I use Carbon Copy Cloner) would be extremely efficient it seems, but it hasn't worked yet. I'm having troubles with the tunes-library.itl, automatic downloads (still!, and file-path issues)

Does anyone of you have a comparable situation? How did you come around the 256-bit restriction of iTunes-cloud?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on May 2, 2018 4:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2018 12:41 PM

See Make a split library portable and Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy (I know you're on a Mac but there is a link to an equivalent Mac tool). A portable library can be cloned from one machine to another and should operate on different paths on each machine if needs be. I use a small portable library to keep both a master library and a smaller iTunes Match/Apple Music library updated on my home and work computers. If you're using iTunes Match then instead of downloading 256K versions in the wrong library stream until you a get a chance to sync up the originals. Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes has some scripts that can be used for housekeeping when you might have made changes independently in two libraries and thus need to make sure that the library properly reflects the content of the media folder.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2018 12:41 PM in response to david braun

See Make a split library portable and Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy (I know you're on a Mac but there is a link to an equivalent Mac tool). A portable library can be cloned from one machine to another and should operate on different paths on each machine if needs be. I use a small portable library to keep both a master library and a smaller iTunes Match/Apple Music library updated on my home and work computers. If you're using iTunes Match then instead of downloading 256K versions in the wrong library stream until you a get a chance to sync up the originals. Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes has some scripts that can be used for housekeeping when you might have made changes independently in two libraries and thus need to make sure that the library properly reflects the content of the media folder.

tt2

ALAC on 2 computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.