Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook 12" and Thunderbolt

I have found much information about this subject on the internet, but little or no actual knowledge, and I have been unable to find or even infer a simple answer to my question below!

I have a La Cie Little Big Drive with Thunderbolt connection, which I use with a variety of Macs. I assume the connection is Thunderbolt 1 or 2 - the drive is far too old to be Thunderbolt 3!

I have recently acquired a new 12" MacBook. You will recall that the 12" MacBook has only a single USB-C port for all its connections, and this port is NOT compatible with Thunderbolt 3 (unlike those on the MacBook Pro), even though thunderbolt 3 uses the USB-C physical connector..

I have two questions:-

1. Assuming the existence of an appropriate connector/cable/adaptor (ie, a Thunderbolt 2 connector on one end end and a USB-C connector on the other), is the 12" MacBook actually capable of working with my La Cie drive?

2. If the answer to 1 above is yes, where can I source the appropriate connector/cable/adaptor?

Please note - speculation can be interesting and often educational, but in this case I really do need a definitive answer - so by all means speculate away, but if you don't actually know the answer please could I ask that you say up front that your answer is non-definitive? :-)

Many thanks

Colin

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), 12" MacBook

Posted on May 3, 2018 2:43 PM

Similar questions

13 replies

May 5, 2018 5:03 PM in response to baldbeardie

I believe it would have spelled out in the official specs such as this one:

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, 2017) - Technical Specifications

Charging and Expansion

• USB-C port with support for:
    • Charging
    • USB 3.1 Gen 1 (up to 5 Gbps)
    • Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output
    • VGA output using USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter (sold separately)
    • HDMI video output using USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter (sold separately)

This would be opposed to the MacBook Pro:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP754?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Charging and Expansion

Two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports with support for:

• Charging
  • DisplayPort
  • Thunderbolt (up to 40 Gbps)
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)

May 4, 2018 1:21 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thank you very much - a definitive answer, and one that matches the conclusions I have been reaching,

i have to say that I think that was a particularly regrettable design decision by Apple, and one that reinforces the inadequacy of the “single universal port” concept of MacBook. Having been obliged to replace my old 11” MacBook Air after it lost an argument with a cup of tea, and having used the new MacBook for about 6 weeks now, i can honestly say that - the magnificent Retina display apart - there is absolutely nothing about the new MacBook that I prefer over the computer it replaced. I am extremely disappointed at how much less capable is the new machine than the old, yet how much greater the price.

May 4, 2018 12:31 AM in response to baldbeardie

Not necessarily speculative, but there is a specific adapter that's supposed to work. There are several reviews that you can comb through the reviews to see if it anyone has mentioned your specific combination (or something similar) as working or not working. Many of the bad reviews seem to be from people who tried using it to use it to connect to a Display Port monitor, even though the description says it doesn't support that.

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter lets you connect Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 devices — such as external hard drives and Thunderbolt docks — to any of the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports on your MacBook Pro.

You could purchase one at an Apple Store. If it doesn't work there should be a 14 day return period in the United States.

May 5, 2018 4:19 PM in response to baldbeardie

baldbeardie wrote:

Thank you. You mirror my own train of thought. However, there seems to considerable confusion caused by Thunderbolt 3 sharing the same physical connector as USB-C, and by Thunderbolt 1 and 2 sharing the same physical connector with Mini Display Port (MDP).

It is known that the USB-C ports on the MacBook Pro support Thunderbolt 3, whilst that on the 12” MacBook does not. It is also known that the USB-C port on the MacBook supports MDP Via a suitable adaptor What is not clear is whether or not that USB-C port supports Thunderbolt 2.

It appears that the Apple adaptor you describe does not work In my situation, so I conclude either that it is the wrong adaptor - does “Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)“ apply to the MacBook port (which is NOT Thunderbolt 3, only USB-C)? - or that the port itself does not support any version of Thunderbolt. If the latter then I must say that I would consider myself severely short-changed by the MacBook, which is the only realistic replacement now available for my much-loved but suddenly defunct 11” MacBook Air ...

I started thinking about it, and came across this support article:

Adapters for the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) or USB-C port on your Mac - Apple Support

If your Mac has only one port like this, it's a MacBook with USB-C User uploaded file. That port supports all but the Thunderbolt solutions in this article.

User uploaded file

May 3, 2018 6:38 PM in response to baldbeardie

Ask LaCie tech support. We don't provide help for non-Apple products. We are all users helping users.

The USB-C port on a MacBook of 2017/18 supports TB3. Prior models support TB1 and TB2. There are some adapters out there but I have no idea if they work. You will find them at Amazon.com.

The connector for TB3 is the same as a USB-C connector.

May 4, 2018 1:03 AM in response to y_p_w

Thank you. You mirror my own train of thought. However, there seems to considerable confusion caused by Thunderbolt 3 sharing the same physical connector as USB-C, and by Thunderbolt 1 and 2 sharing the same physical connector with Mini Display Port (MDP).

It is known that the USB-C ports on the MacBook Pro support Thunderbolt 3, whilst that on the 12” MacBook does not. It is also known that the USB-C port on the MacBook supports MDP Via a suitable adaptor What is not clear is whether or not that USB-C port supports Thunderbolt 2.

It appears that the Apple adaptor you describe does not work In my situation, so I conclude either that it is the wrong adaptor - does “Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)“ apply to the MacBook port (which is NOT Thunderbolt 3, only USB-C)? - or that the port itself does not support any version of Thunderbolt. If the latter then I must say that I would consider myself severely short-changed by the MacBook, which is the only realistic replacement now available for my much-loved but suddenly defunct 11” MacBook Air ...

May 5, 2018 4:31 PM in response to y_p_w

Very many thanks for that link - highly informative! After all the searching I have done in the internet I am slightly surprised not to have found it myself, but as I hinted in the initial post, the signal to noise ratio on the web, especially on this subject, is remarkably low. In this case it seems the noise just drowned out the signal! It's the first time I've seen it explicitly stated anywhere on the internet, least of all on the Apple website, that the MacBook does not support Thunderbolt in any form, even though it does support MDP, and even though the MacBook Pro does support all versions of Thunderbolt. Apple truly does move in mysterious ways!

Anyway, thanks again - I can now move on! :-)

May 6, 2018 1:33 AM in response to y_p_w

Yes, you highlight the apparent failure of Apple explicitly to to make clear it’s withdrawal of Thunderbolt support from MacBook. A punter looking for a new machine (and especially one making an emergency purchase to replace a computer that died 2 days before a lengthy trip abroad - I had no choice but to buy from a Heathrow departure lounge!) does not expect to have to trawl through the specs of multiple models in order to deduce that a staple interface of all Macs for several years past has been inexplicably withheld from just one model in the product range.

I very much appreciate - and have thanked you for - your initial definitive answer to my question, and your subsequent reinforcement of it. However, we now seem to have descended to the differences between “explicit” and “implicit” statements, which strikes me as unhelpful, boring for other readers, and outside the scope of this forum - so I hope it will not appear impolite of me to discontinue this conversation. My thanks again, and goodbye,

Colin

May 6, 2018 6:47 AM in response to baldbeardie

The Retina MacBook (2015 onwards) models have never had Thunderbolt support though. It has always had a single USB-C port. It’s a good machine for taking on the road, but I wouldn’t say it’s that great as a “desktop” replacement because of that single USB-C port that anything wired must go through.

Macbook 12" and Thunderbolt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.