Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting a drive in a USB-C enclosure onto a 2017 macbook air with a thunderbolt 2 port

Hi boys and girls

As per subject I need to connect a USB-C drive on to my 2017 macbook air via its thunderbolt 2 port. Will this adaptor do? The adaptor will connect to the macbook via a thunderbolt 2 cable.

Thanks

PS. I do not want to connect the drive via any of the macbook's USB ports as there's a DAC connected there. Having a DAC and a drive attached onto the same USB bus, is not a very good idea.

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 1:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 1:26 PM

USB-C is only a connector specification and does not define what sort of signals run on it.

You can only connect Thunderbolt devices to a Thunderbolt 2 port. No simple adapter will allow you to use a USB drive on a Thunderbolt 2 port. The adapter you posted is to interface a Thunderbolt 2 device to a Thunderbolt 3 device. and will not work to connect a USB device.

The only way you can utilize the Thunderbolt 2 port to connect USB devices is to get a Thunderbolt 2 dock that has USB ports.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2021 1:26 PM in response to hyphen

USB-C is only a connector specification and does not define what sort of signals run on it.

You can only connect Thunderbolt devices to a Thunderbolt 2 port. No simple adapter will allow you to use a USB drive on a Thunderbolt 2 port. The adapter you posted is to interface a Thunderbolt 2 device to a Thunderbolt 3 device. and will not work to connect a USB device.

The only way you can utilize the Thunderbolt 2 port to connect USB devices is to get a Thunderbolt 2 dock that has USB ports.

Dec 5, 2021 2:11 PM in response to hyphen

hyphen wrote:

I was afraid of that... I did have my hopes up for a while, with usb-c being a "subset" of TB3. Thanks for the clarification!

No, as I said, USB-C is a connector specification. It can be used to connect Thunderbolt 3/4 devices, charge phones and tablets, provide video connections to monitors, connect USB 3.0, 3.1.1, 3.1.2, 3.2.1, 3,2,2, 4.0 devices, or anything else where a universal connector is desired to be used.

Connecting a drive in a USB-C enclosure onto a 2017 macbook air with a thunderbolt 2 port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.