Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Time Capsule

The nice folks at the Genius Bar recently had to wipe and restore the hard drive on my MacBook Pro. I had been doing regular backups to my Airport Time Capsule. In fact, the drive says it has 1.49 TB of 2 TB available meaning it has roughly 51 GB of stored data. However, when I try to look at the drive in time machine it shows no data available to restore. Other than Time Machine, is there another way to access the info on the Time Capsule hard drive to see what's stored there? I have a MacBook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.4.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011)

Posted on May 7, 2018 7:52 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

May 7, 2018 8:20 AM in response to bruce177

Time Machine will only work if you are using the same Mac that made the backups. Since the Genius Bar had to wipe and reinstall the operating system on your Mac, you have a "new" Mac, the same as if you purchased a new Mac.

In other words, your "new" Mac did not make the Time Machine backups that reside on the Time Capsule.

If you want to transfer the data from a Time Machine backup of your old Mac, you must use Migration Assistant on your "new" Mac to do so. More info about that in this Apple support document:

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

My suggestion would be to take the Mac and your Time Capsule back to the Genius Bar and ask them to make your "new" Mac look just like your "old" Mac. They should have offered this service to you as part of the procedure needed on your Mac.

Airport Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.