Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone splits album into individual songs

Hey guys,

Not sure why this is occurring as it's only started since getting the iphone 8, never had an issue before hand. I'll go to load songs from my PC to itunes and transfer them across to my phone, everything transfers fine, however, when I view my library on my phone by either artists or album, some entries will split every track on an album into individual albums (i.e. Castaways and Cutouts by The Decemberists has 10 separate entries under album, one for each track).

Not all albums do this, but I will be ****** if I can figure out why some do and some don't as I feel I have checked everything. Made sure all tags match and are identical (both in the original mp3 ID3 tags and in itunes). Made sure all the album art is identical (if it has any). Sometimes it will split them up into multiple albums, other times it'll contain all the tracks under one album and I'm just stumped as to why this happens. Anyone able to shed any light?

iPhone 8, iOS 11.2.2

Posted on May 9, 2018 10:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2018 4:55 PM

Greetings thepokey,

I understand music which you have added to iTunes and sync to your iPhone will show in different albums, even though the songs are from the same artist and album.

The following support article provides helpful information for this topic: Combine your songs into albums in iTunes

You'll see the behavior you're describing can occur from several different situations related to the album, including: album names differ slightly, if the album is a compilation, or songs from the album have different artists.

The following section of the provided support article may prove helpful in adjusting your song information to reflect the correct album:

Make sure that the album names match

Variations in the spacing, spelling, or punctuation of album names might make iTunes list songs in separate albums. For example, one album name might have an extra space in it that the actual album name doesn't.

User uploaded file

To make sure that all songs from the same album have the same album name, follow these steps:

1. Select all of the songs that should be on the same album.
  2. From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or at the top of the iTunes window, choose Edit > Get Info.
    If the message "Are you sure you want to edit information for multiple items?" appears, click Edit Items.
  3. In the box next to "album," type the correct album name.
  4. Click OK.

Let me know how the steps provided within the article work for you.

Kind regards.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2018 4:55 PM in response to thepokey

Greetings thepokey,

I understand music which you have added to iTunes and sync to your iPhone will show in different albums, even though the songs are from the same artist and album.

The following support article provides helpful information for this topic: Combine your songs into albums in iTunes

You'll see the behavior you're describing can occur from several different situations related to the album, including: album names differ slightly, if the album is a compilation, or songs from the album have different artists.

The following section of the provided support article may prove helpful in adjusting your song information to reflect the correct album:

Make sure that the album names match

Variations in the spacing, spelling, or punctuation of album names might make iTunes list songs in separate albums. For example, one album name might have an extra space in it that the actual album name doesn't.

User uploaded file

To make sure that all songs from the same album have the same album name, follow these steps:

1. Select all of the songs that should be on the same album.
  2. From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or at the top of the iTunes window, choose Edit > Get Info.
    If the message "Are you sure you want to edit information for multiple items?" appears, click Edit Items.
  3. In the box next to "album," type the correct album name.
  4. Click OK.

Let me know how the steps provided within the article work for you.

Kind regards.

iphone splits album into individual songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.