Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer files from MacBook Pro with USB-2 ports to new MacBook Pro with USB-3

Which cord do I need to transfer data from USB-2 to a USB-3 port?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID

Posted on May 10, 2018 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2018 6:07 PM

Could you be more specific about what machines? This gives a lowdown on the various connections that might work:

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

How to use target disk mode to move files to another computer - Apple Support

I don't believe you can set up your old MBP in Target Disk Mode with USB. You could remove the drive, put it in an enclosure, and then connect that to your new one. That's a lot of work though. Maybe FireWire or Thunderbolt 2 (if you have it) via an adapter.

You might also be able to use ethernet from the older MBP to the newer USB-C port with an ethernet adapter/hub/etc. The article recommends using Wi-Fi.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2018 6:07 PM in response to leevey1109

Could you be more specific about what machines? This gives a lowdown on the various connections that might work:

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

How to use target disk mode to move files to another computer - Apple Support

I don't believe you can set up your old MBP in Target Disk Mode with USB. You could remove the drive, put it in an enclosure, and then connect that to your new one. That's a lot of work though. Maybe FireWire or Thunderbolt 2 (if you have it) via an adapter.

You might also be able to use ethernet from the older MBP to the newer USB-C port with an ethernet adapter/hub/etc. The article recommends using Wi-Fi.

Transfer files from MacBook Pro with USB-2 ports to new MacBook Pro with USB-3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.