Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some Fonts aren´t available anymore

Hi,

after updating to High Sierra 10.13.4 some fonts aren´t available anymore. E.g. I have used a font called "Fira Sans Bold" in an InDesign CS6-document. Seemed that it got implemented as an .otf-font.

Now, after the system-update the font isn´t availalble anymore. I have alredy deinstalled the font and installed it new. But no success.

I have the same issue with some other fonts.

In Textedit the font in bold is available but not called "bold" anymore but the German description "fett"

This isnt possible in InDesign.

Does anyone got a solution for my problem?

Thank you in advance!!

Markus

Posted on May 15, 2018 6:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2018 7:27 AM

You may have a corrupt, or incomplete set. There are actually 32 typefaces for this font. Download a fresh copy from Font Squirrel. I'm having no issue with the set showing up in InDesign CC 2018.

User uploaded file

Delete whatever you have and install this new set.

Besides picking up a clean version of the font set, I'm presuming from your issue that you're using Font Book. Its database gets corrupted very easily. Especially during OS updates and upgrades. Follow these steps to reset Font Book, and clearing the font cache data from your Mac. After doing the following, try the font again.

For Font Book, close the app. Go to the Preferences folder in your user account. Delete these two items:

com.apple.FontBook.plist

com.apple.FontRegistry.user.plist

You may not find both. Delete what's there.

Next, close all running applications. From an administrator account, open the Terminal app and enter the following command. You can also copy/paste it from here into the Terminal window:

sudo atsutil databases -remove

Terminal will then ask for your admin password. As you type, it will not show anything, so be sure to enter it correctly.

This command removes all font cache files. Both for the system and the current logged in user account. After running the command, close Terminal and immediately restart your Mac.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2018 7:27 AM in response to markusfromolpe

You may have a corrupt, or incomplete set. There are actually 32 typefaces for this font. Download a fresh copy from Font Squirrel. I'm having no issue with the set showing up in InDesign CC 2018.

User uploaded file

Delete whatever you have and install this new set.

Besides picking up a clean version of the font set, I'm presuming from your issue that you're using Font Book. Its database gets corrupted very easily. Especially during OS updates and upgrades. Follow these steps to reset Font Book, and clearing the font cache data from your Mac. After doing the following, try the font again.

For Font Book, close the app. Go to the Preferences folder in your user account. Delete these two items:

com.apple.FontBook.plist

com.apple.FontRegistry.user.plist

You may not find both. Delete what's there.

Next, close all running applications. From an administrator account, open the Terminal app and enter the following command. You can also copy/paste it from here into the Terminal window:

sudo atsutil databases -remove

Terminal will then ask for your admin password. As you type, it will not show anything, so be sure to enter it correctly.

This command removes all font cache files. Both for the system and the current logged in user account. After running the command, close Terminal and immediately restart your Mac.

May 18, 2018 12:03 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Hi Kurt,

now, a few days later, I wanted to work further in InDesign but now it doenst even want to start anymore :-(

And additionly I had a problem before, that only a few fonts where available.

I had this starting-error also yesterday once, but after a restart it worked. But this can´t be the solving of the problem and the fonts arent available also. So I ask myself if there is some equal solution, that InDesign has a Preference-File or something similar, which I have to delete - and is there also something necessary to insert in the terminal?

Thank you for your help in advance - meanwhile I really regret, that I did this annoying update to High Sierra.

Kind regards, Markus

May 18, 2018 7:04 AM in response to markusfromolpe

Hi Markus,

While the problem seems related to what you did earlier, they're not. The only thing the above steps do is reset Font Book's database (which it immediately recreates the next time you launch it), and the second clears out font cache data. And a cache is just cache. The system recreated those as soon as you restarted.

A possible quick fix for InDesign is to close the app. Go to the Preferences folder in your account, and move these items to your desktop:

Adobe InDesign (a folder)

com.adobe.InDesign.plist

Launch InDesign and see what it does. Any preference changes you made will be back to the defaults. If this does not help, you can close InDesign and put the items on the desktop back in the Preferences folder so you don't have to redo all of your personal settings. If it does help, trash the old prefs.

What version of InDesign is this? I'm using the current CC 2018 under High Sierra with no issues at all. If this is CS6 or older, then yes, folks (not all) are having some issues running them. Adobe doesn't officially support CS6 past Lion 10.7.x, which tells you we're quite a few major OS releases away from that point. Lots of changes under the hood for the OS means older apps not running well, or at all.

However, you note you're seeing font issues across the system (Pages and others). It's difficult to know what the problem may be since there are several possibilities. You may have third party fonts installed that conflict with system fonts. The OS itself may need to be reinstalled. If you want to see if it's the latter, make sure to create a full, restorable backup of your Mac first.

Some Fonts aren´t available anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.