Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to add a phone number to imessage

When I changed my IPhone 6 to IPhone 8 my iMessage application lost the phone number.

Can someone give me an advice, is there any possibility to add the phone number to be reachable at?

User uploaded file

iPhone 8, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on May 15, 2018 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2018 9:03 AM

Hi, ccirimpei.

I see that your phone number isn't showing in the Messages application. You'd like to add it and I'm happy to help.

Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime

If you can't see or select your number in Messages or FaceTime

1. Make sure that you're using the latest software for your Mac or iOS device.
  2. Make sure that you correctly followed the iPhone steps to set up your phone number. You should be using the same Apple ID on all of your devices.
  3. In the “You can be reached” section of Messages and FaceTime settings, make sure that there are checkmarks beside your phone number and Apple ID:

User uploaded file

If your phone number is unchecked and you can't select it, or you have some other issue, follow these steps:

1. On your Mac:
    • In Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click Accounts and select your iMessage account. Click Sign Out.
    • In FaceTime, choose FaceTime > Preferences, then click Sign Out.
  2. On your iPhone, iPad, and iPod:
    • Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
    • Go to Settings > FaceTime. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  3. On your iPhone:
    • Go back to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is turned on.
    • Tap Send & Receive, then choose “Use your Apple ID for iMessage” and sign in with your Apple ID.
  4. Using the same Apple ID, sign back in to Messages and FaceTime on your other devices.

If you still need help, change your Apple ID password and repeat the setup steps. If that doesn't work, contact Apple Support.

Take care!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2018 9:03 AM in response to ccirimpei

Hi, ccirimpei.

I see that your phone number isn't showing in the Messages application. You'd like to add it and I'm happy to help.

Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime

If you can't see or select your number in Messages or FaceTime

1. Make sure that you're using the latest software for your Mac or iOS device.
  2. Make sure that you correctly followed the iPhone steps to set up your phone number. You should be using the same Apple ID on all of your devices.
  3. In the “You can be reached” section of Messages and FaceTime settings, make sure that there are checkmarks beside your phone number and Apple ID:

User uploaded file

If your phone number is unchecked and you can't select it, or you have some other issue, follow these steps:

1. On your Mac:
    • In Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click Accounts and select your iMessage account. Click Sign Out.
    • In FaceTime, choose FaceTime > Preferences, then click Sign Out.
  2. On your iPhone, iPad, and iPod:
    • Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
    • Go to Settings > FaceTime. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  3. On your iPhone:
    • Go back to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is turned on.
    • Tap Send & Receive, then choose “Use your Apple ID for iMessage” and sign in with your Apple ID.
  4. Using the same Apple ID, sign back in to Messages and FaceTime on your other devices.

If you still need help, change your Apple ID password and repeat the setup steps. If that doesn't work, contact Apple Support.

Take care!

May 16, 2018 9:37 AM in response to Joseph_S.

You can go to your settings page and enter in your phone #. Hit on your profile and arrow over until you get to “Name, prolines, emails. Open and you will see your email address. Select edit and enter in your phone #. It will appear directly under ID email. Mine disappears a lot and I use this method. You can also delete your number from this field if you ever need to. 😊

May 16, 2018 1:56 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I tried to add my phone number yesterday, before posting the issue here.

That didn't help. I logged in with my AppleID, checked the phone number in the settings page -> Phone -> My number which is correct. I've also tried to logged out/in with AppleID in the iMessage but nothing, I can be reach at the same 2 options (by mail). My phone number isn't showing in the iMessages application,

May 16, 2018 2:04 PM in response to gaylefromelizabeth

Thank you for your advice.

I've checked the phone number in the settings page -> Phone -> My number which is correct. I've also added my phone number in the Profile as you advised. I have 2 mail addresses and my phone number there, however the issue still persists, the phone number isn't showing in the iMessage application. Log out/in from iMessage didn't help.

The last option I have is to reset the phone

Thanks, good day

May 17, 2018 5:09 AM in response to ccirimpei

Thank you for getting back to us with that information, ccirimpei. Since the steps provided in that article didn't resolve the issue, it's time to contact Apple Support.

Apple - Support - Product Selection -- Apple Support will be able to troubleshoot this issue with you further, and they can supply all of your service options if needed.

Enjoy your day!

how to add a phone number to imessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.