Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4th Gold Pin on my New Apple Charger turned black

iUser uploaded fileI bought this new Apple Lightning Cord at an iCenter in Tacloban City. After two weeks, this is what happened. I already bought 3 cords and showed the same thing. Whenever I charge my iPhone, there’s an error message that says “This Accessory may not be supported”. I contacted apple chat support and told me that the cable is not an original apple product and use only apple authorized product. Now, my trust for apple went down. How could anyone sell an apple lightning cord and told me that it is an apple authorized product when it’s not? I’ve spent 1,190 that’s $29 same as the price of the original. Last night I asked an agent from apple chat support if I can have it replaced, but instead the agent would always ask for my Zip code or Postal Code when infact I know what’s the nearest service location and it would take 6hrs of travel via land for me. If I’ll ride an airplane it would be 6,000 pesos back and forth. In short, the agent was of no help. can anyone tell me what to do? This would be my last time to use apple products and I’m not anymore gonna reccomend it to my friends, family or even workmates.

I’m sorry for this long message. I just don’t know what to do now. Please help me. I’m running out of money.

Posted on May 16, 2018 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2018 5:55 PM

If you examine the cable very carefully near the USB end it should say (in a faint imprint) "Designed by Apple in California assembled in China" followed by a long part number. If it doesn't have this it is not an authentic Apple cable. Authentic Apple cables (and cables certified as Made for iPhone) have gold plated contacts that will not tarnish or turn black. Here's some Apple info on how to identify counterfeit cables: Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories - Apple Support

There is one other possibility, if it is a certified cable: the USB power source may be counterfeit or may not meet Apple standards, and such power sources can cause arcing of the connected (and can also damage the phone). And can injure the user.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2018 5:55 PM in response to elrontylor

If you examine the cable very carefully near the USB end it should say (in a faint imprint) "Designed by Apple in California assembled in China" followed by a long part number. If it doesn't have this it is not an authentic Apple cable. Authentic Apple cables (and cables certified as Made for iPhone) have gold plated contacts that will not tarnish or turn black. Here's some Apple info on how to identify counterfeit cables: Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories - Apple Support

There is one other possibility, if it is a certified cable: the USB power source may be counterfeit or may not meet Apple standards, and such power sources can cause arcing of the connected (and can also damage the phone). And can injure the user.

4th Gold Pin on my New Apple Charger turned black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.