Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command-R not working

I'm trying to erase all my data before sending my old computer in for a buyback.

All the instructions tell me to hold down command-R during restart. This doesn't do anything... the computer just starts up as normal.

Is there any other way to accomplish this? When I go to Disk Utility, "erase" is grayed out.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on May 16, 2018 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2018 8:49 PM

Yes, if your Mac boots from the hard disk as normal and you launch Disk Utility from there, it won't let you erase the disk because that's what it's running from. That makes sense. When booted into Recovery, the machine is running from a separate partition, which allows the disk to be erased.

Technically, you're supposed to hold ⌘-R immediately after pressing the power button. Try that after shutting the computer down normally, rather than restarting. Here's the official word on macOS Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201314

Do you have a USB keyboard? There's a chance your Bluetooth keyboard isn't connecting to the computer in time to interrupt the boot process. Using a USB keyboard could circumvent that problem.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2018 8:49 PM in response to gudrais

Yes, if your Mac boots from the hard disk as normal and you launch Disk Utility from there, it won't let you erase the disk because that's what it's running from. That makes sense. When booted into Recovery, the machine is running from a separate partition, which allows the disk to be erased.

Technically, you're supposed to hold ⌘-R immediately after pressing the power button. Try that after shutting the computer down normally, rather than restarting. Here's the official word on macOS Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201314

Do you have a USB keyboard? There's a chance your Bluetooth keyboard isn't connecting to the computer in time to interrupt the boot process. Using a USB keyboard could circumvent that problem.

Command-R not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.