Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what do markers do in imovie?

I'm working on a long project in iMovie 10.1.9, and I see there's an option to add "markers" to a project. This would make navigating the project a lot easier, but I don't see how they actually work. Documentation is spotty at best--basically just "you can add markers". Can I label a marker with "Chapter 2", for instance? How do I quickly navigate to a marker in a project? I'm doing a lot of scrolling back and forth to find points in a project, and it would be a lot easier if markers could help.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on May 17, 2018 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2018 12:08 PM

Hi,

Markers are place markers in the timeline to assist editing. They don't otherwise have an active function. Selecting Mark/Add Marker will add a marker at the top of the timeline at the place where you put the playhead. If you select a background audio clip, and do Mark/Add Marker, a marker will be placed at the top of the audio clip where you put the playhead.

You can use the J,K, and L keys to scroll. Tapping the L key will scroll forward, and repeatedly tapping will increase the scroll speed. Tapping the K key stops the scroll. Tapping the J key scrolls backward and the speed will increase with each tap. Or, it might be just as easy to scroll by placing your cursor on the triangle at the top of the playhead and move the playhead where you want. You can also use the arrow keys on your keyboard.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2018 12:08 PM in response to vastw

Hi,

Markers are place markers in the timeline to assist editing. They don't otherwise have an active function. Selecting Mark/Add Marker will add a marker at the top of the timeline at the place where you put the playhead. If you select a background audio clip, and do Mark/Add Marker, a marker will be placed at the top of the audio clip where you put the playhead.

You can use the J,K, and L keys to scroll. Tapping the L key will scroll forward, and repeatedly tapping will increase the scroll speed. Tapping the K key stops the scroll. Tapping the J key scrolls backward and the speed will increase with each tap. Or, it might be just as easy to scroll by placing your cursor on the triangle at the top of the playhead and move the playhead where you want. You can also use the arrow keys on your keyboard.

-- Rich

what do markers do in imovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.