Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install macOS High Sierra on new ssd

Hi, I bought macbook pro 13' late 2013 without disk and I have worked on it for 1 month using linux ubuntu on sd card. Now, I installed new samsung ssd to it and I tried install fresh version of the macOS using the combination Command + Option + R + Power Button. Everything was ok, but at the last 2 minutes, installer has restart the computer. When it ran, I could see information, that no one bood device isn't installed. Using Linux, I checked what's on the disk and there was only on catalog, called macOS Install Data. I copied for you log file: Can't install macOS - Pastebin.com . What I should do now to resolve this problem? I tried to turn off conversion to APFS, but without result. Disk is formatted to macOS Extedned (Journaled).

Thanks in advance,

Adam

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), os isn't installed

Posted on May 19, 2018 8:05 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

May 21, 2018 9:49 PM in response to adam3278

There are a multitude of reports of an inability to install or upgrade High Sierra on the Samsung "EVO" series SSDs, and of poor performance even after the upgrade is installed. I surmise those problems are due to firmware. My recommendation is to replace it with an SSD known to be supported.

Apple does not consider aftermarket SSDs an approved user modification. That doesn't mean you can't do it, but Apple does not develop firmware for non-Apple devices. The High Sierra upgrade includes fairly extensive firmware updates—separate and distinct for every single Mac model. Apple simply cannot write firmware for devices they do not incorporate in the products they sell. They don't have the ability to do that, if for no other reason they would need to obtain detailed engineering information from those manufacturers—information they are likely to consider proprietary.

What I should do now to resolve this problem?

Replace that notoriously problematic SSD. Compatible SSDs are available from reputable manufacturers dedicated to supporting the Mac platform. For them, problems reported in this site are precisely nil. Research this site and draw your own conclusions.

Can't install macOS High Sierra on new ssd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.