Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Install MacOS/OSX on my 2015 Macbook Air

I bought a 2015 Macbook Air from a friend a while back and I decided to do a completely fresh install on it. But when I try to install, the installation fails every time. I've tried it with Internet recovery, I've tried installing from a USB flash drive. Nothing works. And it's not just one OS. I've tried El Capitan, Yosemite, High Sierra, and Big Sur. I get the same thing on all of them. Every time I install, I erase the drive with Disk Utility before installing. I've even run First Aid and everything tells me that the SSD is in good working order. I've tried APFS format. I've tried Mac Extended Journaled. Neither one seems to make a difference. I have reset the PRAM/NVRAM. I went to the Terminal and verified that the date/time was correct. I cannot understand what's causing this to happen. Is there anything else I can do?

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 7:23 AM

How to erase an Intel-based Mac as per Apple Instructions

How to reinstall macOS as per Apple Instructions

OR

The Wipe and Reinstall via USB Installer

Notation - This Method will Wipe ALL Data including the Recovery Volume - there is No Recovery of anything - period.

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer. This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

Once that is done read on for preparing the Destination computer  >> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computers.

Extra Special Notation regarding the Touch ID equipped Apple Computer. About Startup Security Utility and Must Enable from Recovery Mode the ability to boot from External Drive Before Attempting 

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS >> for High Sierra and Above << with the GUID Partition Map. 

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2021 7:23 AM in response to bbp7

How to erase an Intel-based Mac as per Apple Instructions

How to reinstall macOS as per Apple Instructions

OR

The Wipe and Reinstall via USB Installer

Notation - This Method will Wipe ALL Data including the Recovery Volume - there is No Recovery of anything - period.

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer. This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

Once that is done read on for preparing the Destination computer  >> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computers.

Extra Special Notation regarding the Touch ID equipped Apple Computer. About Startup Security Utility and Must Enable from Recovery Mode the ability to boot from External Drive Before Attempting 

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS >> for High Sierra and Above << with the GUID Partition Map. 

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Nov 2, 2021 8:39 AM in response to bbp7

Update: apparently it was the SSD somehow. First, I tried installing MacOS Big Sur on an external USB drive and it worked. This told me that more than likely, the SSD had some kind of problem. I ordered a new one and replaced the SSD myself and I was able to install MacOS Monterey on the new SSD with no trouble. I may keep the old SSD in an enclosure since it could possibly work for file storage if nothing else.

Can't Install MacOS/OSX on my 2015 Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.