Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 update

Hi. i have an iMac 21.5", mid 2011. It was ok with high Sierra 10.13.3 until the hard disk died. Since this is an old model, I replaced the disk with a WD 1TB, standard black disk, which of course doesn't have the temperature sensor, so I downloaded a free app from the internet, called Macs Fan Control to control the fans speed, which sky rocket if the disk is not from Apple. I replaced the disk, reinstalled everything from a Time Machine backup and booted ok. Since the backup was from one month ago, I reinstalled all the updates for my apps, including macOS update 10.13.4. All the updates installed fine, except 10.13.4. Then, I rebooted the iMac and tried again: same result.

Searching Apple, found that some people had the same issue. One of the possible solutions was to boot in Safe Mode and try installing the update again. Didn't work.

I rebooted, just to check, and the machine remained in 10.13.3. Next possible solution was to download the combo update 10.13.4. I downloaded it and installed: same issue, the iMac is still in 10.13.3. I tried again downloading it from the Apple store but it didn't work.

In all cases the update seems to install correctly, but at the end a message appears, telling that "some updates could not be installed" and gives me the choice to restart or cancel to "finish" the update. I've tried both but the update didn't install in any case. I've checked the system Console and there are several messages but all seems to indicate that the update finished installing at the 100%, the Mac is still in 10.13.3 (checking on "About this Mac..."). No idea how to proceed from here. Maybe the third party disk has something to do? I even uninstalled the Macs fan Control without success. Besides that, all apps seem to work fine...thanks.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 21" iMac

Posted on May 19, 2018 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2018 4:49 PM

Hi all. Well, I think I found out the problem that impeded to go to 10.13.4. After I replaced the disk by a non-Apple drive, as I said before, I restored my backup from the Time Machine. However, as I started the restore, one of the first screens asked me to format the disk. The format option included by default the MBR (Master Boot Record) option. I didn't change anything and proceeded with the format and install. As I stated in my previous post, my system was in 10.13.3 and it became impossible to upgrade to 10.13.4. After trying a lot of possible fixes from this site and the internet, I decided to redo the restore from the Time Machine, that was when I noticed that MBR should not be the default, but GUID. I checked my other Mac and confirmed that GUID was the volume format. I changed the option to GUID and did the re-install. After that, I was able to upgrade to 10.13.4 without any problem. My thinking is that it was due to an inconsistency, because GUID was the original factory install and I tried to restore using some other option, the first time. The second restore was with GUID and as far as I can see, it worked well.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2018 4:49 PM in response to supergather

Hi all. Well, I think I found out the problem that impeded to go to 10.13.4. After I replaced the disk by a non-Apple drive, as I said before, I restored my backup from the Time Machine. However, as I started the restore, one of the first screens asked me to format the disk. The format option included by default the MBR (Master Boot Record) option. I didn't change anything and proceeded with the format and install. As I stated in my previous post, my system was in 10.13.3 and it became impossible to upgrade to 10.13.4. After trying a lot of possible fixes from this site and the internet, I decided to redo the restore from the Time Machine, that was when I noticed that MBR should not be the default, but GUID. I checked my other Mac and confirmed that GUID was the volume format. I changed the option to GUID and did the re-install. After that, I was able to upgrade to 10.13.4 without any problem. My thinking is that it was due to an inconsistency, because GUID was the original factory install and I tried to restore using some other option, the first time. The second restore was with GUID and as far as I can see, it worked well.

May 19, 2018 11:16 AM in response to supergather

I downloaded a free app from the internet, called Macs Fan Control to control the fans speed, which sky rocket if the disk is not from Apple.

That is not entirely true, because you can use a hard disk drive with the required integral thermal sensor from a vendor such as OWC / MacSales. That's what I do, and what I recommend.

The right way to replace an iMac’s internal hard disk drive is to replace it with one incorporating that thermal sensor. Using clever things like "Macs Fan Control" in an effort to circumvent that requirement is ill-advised. Every one of a Mac's several thermal sensors are absolutely, positively required for proper operation. Omitting them will degrade performance and accelerate hardware failure due to several phenomena, including the effects of drawing in additional airborne contaminants needlessly due to "Macs Fan Control" or anything like it. Read this horror story for one example: iMac temperature climbing too fast.

The only difference between his story and yours is that an inept repair shop was to blame, which took months to resolve. In your case you can fix it in an hour or two.

The solution is simple: if you're going to fix something, fix it correctly. You already demonstrated your ability to disassemble an iMac—a tedious procedure I wouldn't wish upon anyone. Do it again, but do it right this time.

May 20, 2018 6:22 AM in response to John Galt

Hi John. Thanks for your answer. You're absolutely right regarding the thermal sensor. I was searching the internet before I replaced the disk and found that solution that you mentioned, OWC. That was my first option but unfortunately, in my country, Argentina, that piece of hardware is not available. Anyway, the case you mentioned in you answer is extreme and that person didn't have an idea about a good repair. I have been working for years with computers, both repairing hard and soft and that's why I agree with you in that the real disk replacement requires a thermal sensor, but I cannot get one for the moment. However, I'm waiting for someone to travel to the USA in order to have him/her buy me one and then replace the software utility by the sensor. In the meanwhile, I need my Mac up and running to do my job and could not wait. With that said, my previous post was to ask about the problem to install the software upgrade, not the disk thermal issue. I really appreciate your answer, but I'm looking for the reason why I cannot install 10.13.4 on my iMac. I've just mentioned the disk replacement issue in case that some people could have had an issue with it related to the update, but as I said before, I just want to update my Mac to 10.13.4, if possible. If you think that you have any suggestion about this last problem, it will be very welcome. Thanks.

Cannot install macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.