Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New popup in Safari - Privacy Settings

Hello all -

In the past week or so I've started getting a popup whenever I open Safari. This first began on my wife's Mac Pro (with Mavericks) and now the last 2 days is also happening on my Mac mini with ElCapitan. 2 completely different computers with different operating systems and different versions of Safari.

The box, in the upper right corner of the screen, says "Choose the privacy settings that are right for you. Take your privacy checkup." The buttons below are: "NO THANKS. START PRIVACY CHECKUP". There is an icon in the upper left of the box.

I chatted with Apple support today and they verified this is NOT from Apple. They thought the icon indicated that it is from Google. I attach a screen shot below. Has anyone else been getting this lately? Is it from Google? Neither my wife nor I did anything to request or accept this. How do we GET RID OF IT?

Thanks! Randy Knowles

User uploaded file

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), 2011; 2.7GHz i7; 8GB RAM; HD 6630M

Posted on May 20, 2018 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2018 2:29 AM

See these articles https://myaccount.google.com/intro/privacycheckup

https://myaccount.google.com/intro/privacy

These pop up appears on a google page if you have set up google search engine in the homepage .

Google send these to every user utilising their services , and it is quite normal and you should follow the steps in the article ( sometimes a mail also comes from google itself and that is genuine ) .

Note : Approximately 5 to 6 days back the account check up was shown so you should not get rid of it .

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2018 2:29 AM in response to Randy Knowles

See these articles https://myaccount.google.com/intro/privacycheckup

https://myaccount.google.com/intro/privacy

These pop up appears on a google page if you have set up google search engine in the homepage .

Google send these to every user utilising their services , and it is quite normal and you should follow the steps in the article ( sometimes a mail also comes from google itself and that is genuine ) .

Note : Approximately 5 to 6 days back the account check up was shown so you should not get rid of it .

May 26, 2018 4:34 PM in response to Shankie63

You might want to consider starting a new discussion. Since this one is marked solved, less people are likely to look at it. A new post would be much more visible. You can link to this one.

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History
. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

If that doesn't work, try running this program in your normal user account , then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

May 20, 2018 12:02 PM in response to Randy Knowles

Force Quit Safari ( command + option + esc keys).Then restart Safari holding the Shift key. If you still have problems Empty Caches (Safari menu > Preferences > Privacy > Remove all website data. (This will also remove history if you do not want to remove History open Safari Preferences > Advanced and check mark “Show Develop Menu” then choose “Empty Caches” from Develop Menu ).

Then go to Safari Preferences > Extensions and check there. If there is an extension delete it.

If the problem persists then download and run Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

May 21, 2018 10:53 AM in response to tygb

tygb -

Thanks so much for those articles which completely clarify what is going on. I never got this popup box before so I really wasn't sure what to make of it. I'll have to check my notebook with my 4-5 pages of listed accounts, usernames and passwords to see if I have a Google Account to check into. 🙂 Again thanks so much for making this all clear to me! - Randy Knowles

May 26, 2018 4:29 PM in response to Randy Knowles

I don't know for sure wherein lies the cure-all answer. I am presupposing Google possibly, conceivably, may have inadvertently, injected malware problems with their new launch of Take Your Privacy Checkup. As long as I use Google search, this Application, (Annoyance), keeps popping up. The only thing that I have found that may seem to work is changing search engines. Is this the possible cause why Safari 11.1 unexpectedly quits? Does Apple have issues with 11.1?

Shankie63

New popup in Safari - Privacy Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.