Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone X Personal Hotspot Disconnecting and Other Issues

I see lots of posts with this same question over the last year, and no resolutions.

My iPhone X personal hotspot disconnects reliably every 5 minutes or so. I have tried everything and spent countless hours trying to stay connected. The Apple-provided FAQs and help content do not address the issue.

Additionally, I notice that sometimes when I turn the hotspot off and back on, that my hotspot password shows a hex password that I did not enter, despite my having set a custom password many times. Eventually, that incorrect hex password is replaced by my custom password automatically, but this seems like a bug.

Last, when my kids try to connect to my personal hotspot, I get a message on my iPhone X asking me to authorize sharing the password. I say yes each time, but they are unable to connect (they could on my iPhone 8 with no issues). Again, we have spent hours trying to get their devices to connect with no success.

I am on the latest version of iOS. Help?

iPhone X, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on May 23, 2018 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2018 5:53 PM

Hi Chris -

As I mention in my post, I've followed the troubleshooting directions to no avail.

Yes, in the scenario when I get disconnected every 5 minutes, data is being transferred.

There is also the scenario where I literally cannot connect to the hotspot. The device attempting the connection seems to forget the password, even though it has connected successfully in the past, and a message pops up on my X asking permission to share the personal hotspot password with the connecting device. I say yes, and the connection fails every time.

I repeatedly have tried cycling power on all devices, turning wifi of and on, going into airplane mode on the X and re-establishing the LTE connection.

Nothing seems to rectify either problem.

Thanks for your help!

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2018 5:53 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi Chris -

As I mention in my post, I've followed the troubleshooting directions to no avail.

Yes, in the scenario when I get disconnected every 5 minutes, data is being transferred.

There is also the scenario where I literally cannot connect to the hotspot. The device attempting the connection seems to forget the password, even though it has connected successfully in the past, and a message pops up on my X asking permission to share the personal hotspot password with the connecting device. I say yes, and the connection fails every time.

I repeatedly have tried cycling power on all devices, turning wifi of and on, going into airplane mode on the X and re-establishing the LTE connection.

Nothing seems to rectify either problem.

Thanks for your help!

Jun 1, 2018 12:43 AM in response to Briansyddall

Brian - appreciate the insight. But I paid $1K for the X and feel it should work. Further, for at least 7 years I've used the personal hotspots on my iPhone 6, 7, and 8 and they worked flawlessly. Something has happened with the X and I think Apple needs to address it.

But I do appreciate that there is an alternative, thank you.

-brad

Jun 1, 2018 12:15 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Sorry, one clarification - in the 5 minute case - the X doesn't disconnect, it just stops transferring data. This is the case when I'm trying to connect my Macbook Pro (2017) to the X. In this case, I usually have to disconnect from the X, put the X in airplane mode for a few seconds and then turn airplane mode off, and then reconnect the laptop. In 5 minutes I have to do this again.

The other case - where we just can't connect to the X and we get the "share password" popup on the X, it's my kids' iPad mini version 4's.

Jun 1, 2018 12:22 AM in response to winenot

Hi

Personal hotspot is run by your network provider.

When I am away from home I use a mifi wireless router can connect up to 10 devices at once works anywhere you have a mobile phone signal works on any wifi device.

Pay & go or contact I have 32G a month OK for holidays & when away from home.

Have a look on Amazon /Ebay at Netgear aircard.

Cheers

Brian🇬-1F1E7;

Jun 1, 2018 7:31 AM in response to winenot

That is the only troubleshooting document for the Personal Hotspot. While I understand your frustration, the carrier is the one that controls Hotspot. The only other issue I've seen with Hotspots was a problem connecting to Windows computers when there were special characters in the name of the phone, such as George's iPhone, where the apostrophe caused the network issue for Windows.

I would still recommend connecting with your carrier to see if there are issues with Hotspot on the iPhone's plan. Each phone is different. I've not had to use mine since I got my iPhone X, but the only other test I can think of that should remove doubt about the phone would be to create a current backup of the phone. Then restore the phone to factory and set it up as new. Without using your backup or adding any additional content to the phone, attempt to connect your Personal Hotspot and see if you get the disconnect. The thing that really seems the strangest about it is the fact that it appears on a time schedule.

If that doesn't work, you can restore your phone to your backup, and then I would make a Genius Bar appointment at the nearest Apple Store to work with them. Let them know what your carrier has to say as well if they cannot fix the issue. I wouldn't assume it is the fault of the iPhone X until you have taken the time to troubleshoot all avenues.

IPhone X Personal Hotspot Disconnecting and Other Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.