Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal Hotspot - No prompt for password

I have an iPhone 6s Plus, and i just had another phone, which does not share my Apple ID, connect to my personal hotspot without being prompted to enter a password. Why is this happening and how can I fix it? Thank you in advance!

Posted on Aug 12, 2018 1:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2018 2:57 AM

Yes., I did see the blue bar with the connection. I just tried to change the password again and now it finally prompts for one! Not sure what cause the other glitch, but it looks like this did it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!

10 replies

Aug 12, 2018 2:04 AM in response to babymccurl

To share your hotspot you don't need other than the password in the Settings of your device (even with a different Apple ID). If that other device ever connected, and the password on yours has not changed, it can be remembered and connect as soon as the hotspot is enabled.

See: How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Aug 12, 2018 3:13 AM in response to babymccurl

Instant Hotspot should only work for devices on the same account, for any other situation they then require the password which if you change on the hotspot device should stop those types of connections dead.

If the “other” device is not yours then the only option you could try is “Reset Network Settings” on your 6s Plus, that might remove whatever is allowing this to happen and therefore stop the “other” device connecting automatically.

The strange thing is this shouldn’t be possible, so you have either discovered a bug which you really need to inform Apple about or if the “other” device is yours could a setting of been transferred to it from via a Restore of a previous backup for example.

ps. Sorry didn’t see your recent post that you have now managed to fix, glad you got it sorted.

Personal Hotspot - No prompt for password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.