Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble installing macOS High Sierra

Hi -

I'm trying to upgrade my laptop to High Sierra (10.13.4). I have a mid-2014 MacBook Pro running Yosemite (10.10.3), and as far as I can tell, it meets the requirements for High Sierra. I downloaded High Sierra from the Mac App Store, but when I attempt to install, I get an error message: "Installation of macOS could not continue. Installation requires downloading important content. That content couldn't be downloaded at this time. Try again later." My internet connection is working fine, I tried restarting, and I tried deleting and redownloading the High Sierra installation package from the App Store, but to no avail.

Also, not sure if this helps, but I checked the installer logs to see if there was any more information. Here's what came up:

...local osinstallersetupplaind[5486]: isConvertableToAPFS: was called on a APFS disk.

...local osinstallersetupplaind[5486]: Target is not convertible to APFS: This volume is not formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

...local osinstallersetupplaind[5486]: OSISPredicateUpdateInstallerProduct: Couldn't find com.apple.plist.InstallInfo in package references: (

"{\n Identifier = \"com.apple.pkg.InstallESDDmg\";\n Size = 4719681371;\n URL = \"http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/10/62/091-76233/v27a64q1zvxd2lbw4gbej9c 2s5gxk6zb1l/InstallESDDmg.pkg\";\n Version = \"10.13.4.0.0.1522206870\";\n}",

"{\n Identifier = \"com.apple.mpkg.OSInstall\";\n Size = 674140;\n URL = \"http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/10/62/091-76233/v27a64q1zvxd2lbw4gbej9c 2s5gxk6zb1l/OSInstall.mpkg\";\n Version = \"10.13.4.0.0.1522206870\";\n}"

)

...local osinstallersetupplaind[5486]: Predicate update product fetch failed with error: Error Domain=com.apple.OSInstallerSetup.error Code=305 "Installation of macOS could not continue." UserInfo=0x7f8a75593700 {NSLocalizedDescription=Installation of macOS could not continue., NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=Installation requires downloading important content. That content can't be downloaded at this time. Try again later.}

Specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 16000 MHz DDR3

Storage capacity: 250 GB

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 23, 2018 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2018 8:37 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions and comments! Upgrading Yosemite from 10.10.3 to 10.10.5 seemed to solve the problem. After I installed that update, I was able to install High Sierra with no issues.

Similar questions

9 replies

May 23, 2018 4:13 PM in response to Megan925

It's a known problem:

Installation requires downloading important content. That content can't be downloaded at this time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/8ghcv6/macbook_pro_wont_clean_install_high _sierra_after/

macbook - Internet recovery can't install macOS because it "requires downloading important content" which "can't be down…

etc...

Apple keeps telling people to change their hard drives or buy new Macs from what I've gathered. Even though it's obvious the problem is on their side - be it a faulty MacOS server, or Fusion Drives/SSDs all over the world that simultaneously died on late April, 2018 (hilarious).

May 23, 2018 2:55 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Yes, I already checked there before trying to install, and my laptop meets the requirements: the minimum for High Sierra for MacBook Pro models is mid 2010 or later running OS X Yosemite (mine is mid 2014 and is running Yosemite).

I did notice that 10.10.3 is not the latest version of Yosemite. I'm currently downloading 10.10.5 from the App Store to see if having that will allow me to upgrade to High Sierra.

May 23, 2018 3:43 PM in response to Megan925

I’m trying to simply to reinstall macOS Sierra on my 27 inches iMac, which I purchased this year! macOS High Sierra is already installed on it, I just want to reinstall from the web, therefore I know it is not a compatibility issue. I also did a first aid check on my hard drive & it is fine. It is already APSF. My internet connection is flawless. I wonder if their server is down, or if there is an issue installing on APSF (which would be weird)?

May 23, 2018 8:50 PM in response to Megan925

It may be the fusion drive & upgrade to High Sierra issue indeed. When purchased my iMac in November 2017, it was formatted in “Journal extended”, then I upgraded to MacOS High Sierra, which would have formatted my fusion drive to APSF, it it is working fine, however, their servers won’t allow me to download the OS, I get that same message, which ends with “try again later”. I phoned AppleCare and brought in my iMac, so they’ll reinstall it within a day.

Trouble installing macOS High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.