Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System & IOS Files More than Half of My Storage Capacity!

Hey Guys, hope you're all doing fine, I have a macbook with tiny hard drive 120 GB, of which 48.5 GB system files and 19 GB IOS files, that collectively represent 56% of available storage capacity..is this normal?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), iOS 11.3.1

Posted on May 24, 2018 2:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2018 7:40 AM

For the iOS files, open iTunes, Preferences, Devices and delete the backups you do not need.

A lot of stuff gets kludged into the System files category. It's not just the OS.

It also may be that it is incorrectly categorizing things. Spotlight does the categorizing, so reindexing Spotlight may clean up the display a little.

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2018 7:40 AM in response to sssalem

For the iOS files, open iTunes, Preferences, Devices and delete the backups you do not need.

A lot of stuff gets kludged into the System files category. It's not just the OS.

It also may be that it is incorrectly categorizing things. Spotlight does the categorizing, so reindexing Spotlight may clean up the display a little.

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

System & IOS Files More than Half of My Storage Capacity!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.