Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 1.3.1 Share Menu Long Lag Time

Has anyone experienced a significant lag (20-30 seconds) after clicking the Share option? Nearly every occurrence has been when selecting a web page from Safari to share via Messages app. This behavior is across the board on all devices iPad/iPhone and is not related to downloading a photo as sharing pre-iOS 11 was super fast for years. I have completed all the usual corrective steps...hard reset, reset all settings, even restored from backup with from firmware.

iPhone X

256GB (119.5GB remaining)

iOS 11.3.1

Posted on May 24, 2018 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2018 2:22 PM

I could almost understand saying that iOS 11 update could have affected things, but not on the Mac. I would still take the time to restore the iPhone or iPad to factory and set it up as new, without using your backup and then testing it without any additional content added and see if it still exhibits the behavior. If it does, I would make a Genius Bar appointment at Apple, or contact Apple Support and see if they can identify the problem.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2018 2:22 PM in response to BatCat999

I could almost understand saying that iOS 11 update could have affected things, but not on the Mac. I would still take the time to restore the iPhone or iPad to factory and set it up as new, without using your backup and then testing it without any additional content added and see if it still exhibits the behavior. If it does, I would make a Genius Bar appointment at Apple, or contact Apple Support and see if they can identify the problem.

May 24, 2018 10:50 AM in response to BatCat999

Again, is it the time it takes to get to the To: spot, or sending, or what exactly? Is it the time taken when you first tap on Share, or the time taken when you tap on Messages, or the time taken to send the message?

It is also rather strange that it is happening on all of your devices equally. I see you tried a restore from backup, have you tried restoring to factory, non using a backup, and then testing before you add any additional content? That would help check to see if there is any corrupt data in your backup.

May 24, 2018 1:30 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Continued thanks. Focusing on Safari as it is primary culprit: on my Mac and iPad the main lag is the time from selecting "share" to the time the share menu appears. This can be a lag from anywhere from 10-30 seconds or more. Then runs normally. iPhone is the opposite. Menu pops up quickly then the lag from hitting share to when it goes and the menu closes. On both this is for any share option not just messages. email, etc all the same lag.

Have not done from factory as that would negate my old phone/pad layouts etc which is of no use. I have set up as new then done the backup restore and no improvement.

May 24, 2018 1:35 PM in response to BatCat999

Strange, since you say it is also happening on your Mac. How much free space do you have on the iPhone and also the iPad? If you set the phone up as new, then that is what I was saying as restore to factory and set up as new to test. You can restore your backup after that if you wish, but it seems there is a problem there somewhere that is affecting all of your devices. I've not seen an issue with my iPhone X as I said, nor with my iPad Mini 4, and both are using iOS 11.3.1. There has to be some way to isolate the cause, like the restore to factory and test as I indicated earlier.

iOS 1.3.1 Share Menu Long Lag Time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.