Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS Do Not Disturb Blocks Messages From Contacts

I have Do Not Disturb setup to block phone calls all of the time except from contacts. However, it is also blocking messages in iMessage from everyone, including contacts. I don't want phone calls and rarely use the phone. I want notifications from iMessage from contacts, especially my wife.

Has anyone figured out a way to block calls but allow message notifications on an iPhone? Using the latest O/S.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on May 24, 2018 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2018 2:08 PM

Do Not Disturb blocks all notifications. You can set it to allow calls from Favorites or Contacts. However, to be able to receive notification of Messages from certain people, you have to set those individually for Emergency Bypass.

Go to that person's contact card, then select Edit>Ringtone, then on the following page at the top, you will see Emergency Bypass switch. Turn that on.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2018 2:08 PM in response to caljim

Do Not Disturb blocks all notifications. You can set it to allow calls from Favorites or Contacts. However, to be able to receive notification of Messages from certain people, you have to set those individually for Emergency Bypass.

Go to that person's contact card, then select Edit>Ringtone, then on the following page at the top, you will see Emergency Bypass switch. Turn that on.

iOS Do Not Disturb Blocks Messages From Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.