Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

/Users on external disk (High Sierra)

Problems:

1. External disk often fails to automatically mount on reboot, but sometimes does.
    Can mount manually.
  2. My dock preferences are not remembered

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

External SSD, formatted as case-sensitive APFS. Enabled owenership.

Created /etc/fstab with the following line:
UUID=F41F60A0-F917-4ECD-8B3C-BBE22828DAAD /Users apfs rw 0 2

I've verified via diskutil that the UUID is correct. Should I just use the device name /dev/disk4s1 instead of the UUID?

I've tried deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist. When I look at the plist file via Xcode after making changes to dock, it has my changes. After reboot dock has the default applications, and all my changes have been lost.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 24, 2018 3:06 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

May 24, 2018 3:16 PM in response to electrosaur

How to use an SSD with your HDD

If you are going to use an SSD as a boot drive together with your existing HDD as the "data" drive, here's what you can do.

After installing the SSD you will need to partition and format the SSD using Disk Utility. Then, install OS X on the SSD. After OS X has been installed boot from the SSD. Use Startup Disk preferences to set the SSD as the startup volume.

Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and authenticate. CTRL- or RIGHT-click on your user account listing in the sidebar and select Advanced Options from the context menu. You will see a field labeled "Home dir:" At the right end you will see a Change button. Click on it. In the file dialog locate the Home folder now located on the HDD (HDD/Users/account_name/.) Select the folder, click on Open button. Restart the computer as directed. When the computer boots up it will now be using the Home folder located on the HDD.

Another more technical method involving the Terminal and aliases is discussed in depth here: Using OS X with an SSD plus HDD setup - Matt Gemmell. This is my preferred approach because I can select which of the Home's folders I want on the HDD and which I don't want. For example, I like to keep the Documents and Library folders on the SSD because I access their content frequently.

Be sure you retain the fully bootable system on your HDD in case you ever need it.

May 27, 2018 3:30 PM in response to etresoft

@etresoft: thanks, that helps. I've now mounted the external disk at /home instead of /Users - had to comment out /home in /etc/auto_master, and then changed home dirs via Users and Groups.

Not quite the solution I was looking for, as I wanted all user home directories to be on the external disk and avoid having to change each one via Users and Groups.

/Users on external disk (High Sierra)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.