Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can you tell which Photos are taking up space?

I have iCloud storage for all my apple devices but I am losing space on my iPhone due to photos that also should be stored in the iCloud. I have uploaded them also to my iPhoto library on my Mac too. But to free up space on my phone, how do I know which photos to remove to do this? i.e which ones are not just in the iCloud?

Posted on May 25, 2018 1:34 AM

3 replies

May 25, 2018 3:43 PM in response to Bexysquish26

Greetings Bexysquish26,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! I understand you're running out of storage space on your iPhone, and you'd like to know how to see which photos are stored on your iPhone and which photos are stored with iCloud.

When you enable iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone, that will make the photos you have on your iPhone appear on all of your other devices which have iCloud Photo Library enabled. If you delete a photo from a device which has iCloud Photo Library enabled, that photo will be removed from your iCloud storage and the rest of your devices that use iCloud Photo Library as well. You can read those details from the following guide: Get help with your iCloud Photo Library

You'll also see the option to enable the Optimize iPhone Storage feature when you enable iCloud Photo Library, which will help you to save storage space on your iPhone. You can read those details from the following guide: iCloud Photo Library

Store your photos and videos in iCloud

Your photos and videos are stored on your device in their original, high-resolution version. This means that they use a lot of space on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. With iCloud Photo Library, you can make more space available on your device and have your entire collection, everywhere you go.

Get started with iCloud Photo Library:

1. Tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos. If you're using iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iCloud > Photos.
  2. Turn on iCloud Photo Library.
  3. Select Optimize iPhone Storage to make more space on your device.

With Optimize Storage, smaller, space-saving photos and videos are kept on your device while all of your original, full-resolution versions are stored in iCloud. And as long as you have enough space in iCloud, you can store as many photos and videos as you want.

You're also able to view your photos on iCloud.com . From there, you could view which photos have uploaded to iCloud, and which photos haven't uploaded from your iPhone.

Kind regards.

May 25, 2018 4:16 PM in response to Bexysquish26

To cut to the chase, iCloud is a syncing service, not an archiving service. You cannot delete photos from your phone and leave them in iCloud. When you delete from the phone your photos will also be deleted from iCloud and from all devices that sync to iCloud Photos.

If you want to delete photos from your phone yet keep them available you need an archiving service such as Amazon Photos, Google Photos, Dropbox, box.com, upthere.com, etc.

How can you tell which Photos are taking up space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.