Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to delete photos to make space but when I do they’re deleted from iCloud too

My phone storage is full. Want to delete photos to make space but when I do they’re deleted from the cloud too.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 5:50 PM

iCloud is a syncing service, not an archiving service. It will keep all devices logged into the same iCloud account matching each other. So anything you add to a device will be copied to all other devices on the same iCloud account, and any deletions or edits made on a device will be duplicated on all other devices. What you need is an archiving service. Here are a few:

• Transfer your photos to your computer via USB cable
  • Sync to Google Photos
  • Sync to some other photo archiving service such as Shutterfly
  • Sync to Dropbox
  • Sync to box.com
  • Sync to Microsoft OneDrive
  • Sync to Amazon Photos
  • back up to Livedrive
  • Backup to any other backup or archiving service

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2020 5:50 PM in response to Adriennescalo

iCloud is a syncing service, not an archiving service. It will keep all devices logged into the same iCloud account matching each other. So anything you add to a device will be copied to all other devices on the same iCloud account, and any deletions or edits made on a device will be duplicated on all other devices. What you need is an archiving service. Here are a few:

• Transfer your photos to your computer via USB cable
  • Sync to Google Photos
  • Sync to some other photo archiving service such as Shutterfly
  • Sync to Dropbox
  • Sync to box.com
  • Sync to Microsoft OneDrive
  • Sync to Amazon Photos
  • back up to Livedrive
  • Backup to any other backup or archiving service

Want to delete photos to make space but when I do they’re deleted from iCloud too

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.