Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X importing stereo audio

I have a stereo audio wav file and when I import this into Final Cut Pro X the stereo seems to be mono. Is there a way to prevent FCPX from altering the original audio file?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on May 24, 2018 11:41 PM

10 replies

May 27, 2018 5:14 AM in response to silver_mica

HOW do you know?

1- Can you post a screen shot of the audio meters?

2- A screen shot of the audio configuration in the Inspector?

FCPX may change audio channel configuration on import if the import window's audio analysis options are checked. But it doesn't change the physical configuration of the file. We need some technical information to help you out. So the screen shots would go a long way to taking care of this quickly.

May 28, 2018 9:19 AM in response to BenB

I have two functioning ears. That's how I know.

Oh, I see it now (looking at the Inspector window). FCPX seems to set imported audio to mono by default - my setup does anyway. Is there a way to prevent FCPX from automatically setting imported audio to "dual mono"? That seems like something I'll just forget to check from time-to-time.

May 28, 2018 11:54 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Interesting, so do (or can) wav files have a set of embedded 'controls' or 'switches' for other programs to use?

I haven't had any problems with these wav files - other than in FCPX - that is to say, they play in stereo just fine using Quicktime and, I believe, iTunes. I'm exporting from Cubase - and have been doing so for a few years now.

Final Cut Pro X importing stereo audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.