Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FileVault blocking Time Machine Backup

"Time Machine did not back up because FileVault was encrypting or decrypting a disk. Backups will resume once FileVault finishes." Multiple restarts, disk utility first aid, no antivirus software, and OS won't let me turn off FileVault. Any suggestions?

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), Fire Vault not responding

Posted on May 25, 2018 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2018 10:14 AM

Encryption finished (finally...), but still cannot backup with Time Machine or install High Sierra update, 10.13.4. Time Machine keeps stating that the drive is either encrypting or decrypting and needs to finish before backup can start, even though encryption is done now. Mac OS Installer still giving me the same error code.

I never had ANY issues like this until I activated FileVault. And when I go to Security in Settings, the Turn Off FileVault tab is still grayed out.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2018 10:14 AM in response to macjack

Encryption finished (finally...), but still cannot backup with Time Machine or install High Sierra update, 10.13.4. Time Machine keeps stating that the drive is either encrypting or decrypting and needs to finish before backup can start, even though encryption is done now. Mac OS Installer still giving me the same error code.

I never had ANY issues like this until I activated FileVault. And when I go to Security in Settings, the Turn Off FileVault tab is still grayed out.

FileVault blocking Time Machine Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.