Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Access to KeyChain is intermittent

For the past week, signing in to reveal passwords in Keychain for High Sierra has been intermittent.

I was unable to log in to get a seldom used password. My admin sign-in didn't work.

So I changed the admin sign-in password. It allows me to sign in to my OS, and sometimes it works for my keychain. When open keychain access and click on one of my passwords, the standard dialogue box comes up. I click on "show password", enter my admin password, and it reveals the password.

But sometimes, when I click on the "show password" box, the check mark doesn't show up in the dialogue box. Instead, it comes up with a different dialogue box that says "macOS wants to make changes. Enter an administrator's name and the password to allow this."

I enter the same admin name, the same password, and the dialogue box "shakes" but I can't get access.

Any clues how to fix this?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), 512 Gb SSD, 16 mg ram, mid 2015 15;

Posted on May 25, 2018 10:21 AM

5 replies

May 26, 2018 8:45 AM in response to Wascally Wabbit

You have extended network settings Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations - Apple Suppo…

Setting up Time Capsule for the first time - Apple Support

Get help with iCloud Keychain - Apple Support

Frequently asked questions about iCloud Keychain - Apple Support

The passwords are stored when you set up iCloud Keychain , it seems that you are using one network at your place and only one wireless net work password will be shown , when you open keychain access with the help of spotlight , double click on base station name it will prompt to enter admin name and password , then the show password box is checked.

A second pop up appears again the same admin name and password is entered and after that the wireless network password is shown .

May 25, 2018 10:27 AM in response to Wascally Wabbit

If you are unable to view wi fi password in keychain access .

Click on Go > Go To folder & type ~/Library > preferences : remove com.apple.keychainaccess.plist and find a first folder By hosts ( select the contents of it ) and move to the trash - junk files related to network are removed . Restart the Mac & empty the trash .

Note - to select contents use ( command and A keys ) and to delete ( use command and delete keys ) .

May 25, 2018 11:32 AM in response to tygb

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not all that experienced at this so may need a few clues.

I understand, remove com.apple.keychainaccess.plist

Then, I get lost.

"find a first folder "by hosts"?

I don't understand. What folder is that?

Then select the contents of that file (whatever file that is) and move them to trash?

Don't understand what folder I'm looking for after removing com.apple.keychainaccess.plist

May 26, 2018 8:13 AM in response to tygb

Thanks. That's one of those "Doh!" cases.

Unfortunately, doing what you suggested did not solve the problem.

I can still go to two adjacent items (two networks on my Time Capsule) and one reveals the password when I click on "show password", while the other gives me a different dialogue box which also asks for my admin name. Entering the admin name and password doesn't display the password.

Access to KeyChain is intermittent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.