Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchase Songs library disappeared

I lost all the songs in my libary - they just disappeared from my purchases playlist. I was able to redownload all of them and restore my library, but it did not restore these songs to all of my playlists. Thus, all of my playlists are ruined and gone. Can anyone help with this problem to understand what happened and how I can fix my playlists?

MacBook Air

Posted on May 25, 2018 12:47 PM

1 reply

May 26, 2018 9:53 AM in response to Whataboutbob56

Hello Whataboutbob56,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems you are experiencing issues with missing playlists in iTunes on your MacBook Air. To help with this situation, please follow these steps to restore your iTunes library file and check if your playlists are restored:

Before following the steps below, make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Go to the iTunes folder that contains the iTunes library files:
    Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose Go > Home. Open the Music folder, then open the iTunes folder.
    Windows: Navigate to \Users\username\Music\iTunes\.
  3. Drag the iTunes Library.itl file to your Desktop. Learn what to do if you can't find the file.
  4. In the iTunes folder, open the Previous iTunes Libraries folder.
  5. Find the file named iTunes Library YYYY-MM-DD where YYYY-MM-DD is the date you updated iTunes (Year-Month-Day).
    If you don't see a Previous iTunes Libraries or a recent YYYY-MM-DD file, your iTunes Library file might be in a custom location. Search for Previous iTunes Libraries on your computer to find the most recent YYYY-MM-DD, then continue with step 6.
  6. Select the file, then press Cmd + C (Mac) or Ctrl + C (Windows).
  7. Press Cmd + Up arrow (Mac) or Alt + Up arrow (Windows).
  8. Press Cmd + V (Mac) or Ctrl + V (Windows).
  9. The YYYY-MM-DD file should now be copied into your iTunes folder. Rename the copy "iTunes Library.itl" (without the quotation marks).
  10. Hold down the Option key (Mac) or the Shift key (Windows) and open iTunes.
  11. When you see a message that asks you to Choose iTunes Library, click Choose Library. Point iTunes to the file you renamed in step 9.

Your iTunes Library should now be restored. If you see all your content and playlists in iTunes as expected, you can move the iTunes Library.itl file on your Desktop to the Trash.

If you don't see your entire library after you update iTunes on your Mac or PC
About iTunes library files

Cheers!

Purchase Songs library disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.