Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to preserve window position in TextEdit?

Whenever I reopen a TextEdit document, it opens in a "default" position that seems to be predetermined by OSX, not where the document window was when last used.

For example, I'd like to have a certain TextEdit document window on the far left of my screen, so that it is visible when opening a Safari window center screen.

Is there a (hidden) preference or a Terminal command that will force TextEdit to remember the position of windows? i.e. they should re-open in the same place as before.

Posted on May 25, 2018 3:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2018 9:22 AM

Colin,

The developers of TextEdit chose many years ago to hard-code that center screen, new document location into the application. Because of the first sentence, it does not preserve document window location data in any .plist.

It will be like pulling teeth to get Apple to change this annoying oversight. You can send the macOS product team feedback though.

The following AppleScript will open a new TextEdit document, each time it is run, and force the document location to the upper-left side of the screen. On El Capitan, documents will overlay one another, and the ⌘+` keyboard shortcut can cycle among them. On High SIerra, the previous sentence still applies, or one can simply select Window menu : Merge all Documents, and have open document tabs in a forced upper-left TextEdit window.

-- TE.applescript

-- Launches TextEdit and immediately snaps default opened window location to upper-left corner.

-- VikingOSX, 2018-06-01, Apple Support Communities

tell application "TextEdit"

launch

make new document

tell front window to set its bounds to {0, 0, 600, 1100}

end tell

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2018 9:22 AM in response to Colin Shapiro

Colin,

The developers of TextEdit chose many years ago to hard-code that center screen, new document location into the application. Because of the first sentence, it does not preserve document window location data in any .plist.

It will be like pulling teeth to get Apple to change this annoying oversight. You can send the macOS product team feedback though.

The following AppleScript will open a new TextEdit document, each time it is run, and force the document location to the upper-left side of the screen. On El Capitan, documents will overlay one another, and the ⌘+` keyboard shortcut can cycle among them. On High SIerra, the previous sentence still applies, or one can simply select Window menu : Merge all Documents, and have open document tabs in a forced upper-left TextEdit window.

-- TE.applescript

-- Launches TextEdit and immediately snaps default opened window location to upper-left corner.

-- VikingOSX, 2018-06-01, Apple Support Communities

tell application "TextEdit"

launch

make new document

tell front window to set its bounds to {0, 0, 600, 1100}

end tell

Jun 2, 2018 9:22 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks VikingOSX for all that info.

Firstly, I'm happy that you confirmed this issue and that it is indeed annoying.

I don't really want windows to open top left every time, but rather to remember wherever their last position was, so I will send feedback to Apple.

If anyone else finds this annoying, please also send feedback - the more the better.

How to preserve window position in TextEdit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.