Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud-where is my original document stored

I set up icloud on my macbook pro today.

In my Finder window, lefthand pane, this automatically setup an icloud heading, under which are 1. icloud, 2. Documents, and 3. Desktop. Documents and Desktop were formerly under my Favorites with other places located on my physical hard drive.

When I look at the Get Info for files that originated on the hard drive, the location is now in a root directory under icloud.

The question is: Were my files physically moved off of my computer? If yes, why?? If no, how do you or I know this??

Thank you

macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), 2.9 Mhz i7, 8GB MEM, 1TB HDD

Posted on May 25, 2018 2:53 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

May 25, 2018 3:31 PM in response to rick wintomac

iCloud Drive is a folder on your MacBook Pro.

You can see the iCloud Drive folder in Finder as I previously described. If you use Get Info for one of those files it will show the location as iCloud Drive.

The file itself is in 2 locations. The iCloud Drive folder on your Mac and on iCloud. (Speculation here but that may be why Apple chose to obscure the physical location a bit -- since they are synced between 2 locations.)

The physical location of the folder is a bit obscured. You can use the Finder "Go" menu, hold down the option key and click Library and then click the Mobile Documents folder in Library.

If you still are in any doubt (and I suspect you are), turn off your wi-fi or discontent the ethernet connection to your router. Then use the Finder sidebar and access your files. They will all still be there.

May 25, 2018 3:10 PM in response to rick wintomac

According to your screenshot, you do not have Optimize Mac Storage turned on. Therefore you definitely have a local copy (on your Mac) of all of your iCloud Drive files.

Because you turned on the "Desktops and Documents" option of iCloud Drive, your Documents folder has been relocated from its normal location. It is now in your iCloud Drive folder on your Mac. You can access your iCloud Drive folder by clicking on it in the Finder sidebar or by using the Finder "Go" menu.

icloud-where is my original document stored

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.