Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is data from iCloud files stored locally?

I have a strange problem - while uploading some documents to iCloud, my computer unfortunately crashed and I don't think it completed the process (it was an old MacBook Air 2011 running Sierra so I knew it was on it's last legs but that was a stroke of bad luck). Turns out there were damages to the hard drive and it is unable to recover. I got the data extracted and I'm shifting through the files to find the documents I'm looking for. I'm wondering if and where data from iCloud files are stored locally and if there is a way to extract them.

Thank you :)

MacBook

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 6:41 PM

Most of the data is stored on the computer in the User folder. For example, the photos are stored in User/Pictures/Photos Library. The iCloud Drive documents are stored in the User/Document folder and User/Desktop folder if syncing Documents and Desktop to iCloud.

1 reply

Is data from iCloud files stored locally?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.