Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get my documents back from iCloud onto my MacBook?

Somehow I have changed my settings so that everything is stored on the iCloud instead of my laptop. I'd like to have them back on my laptop - please can someone tell me how to do this? I've searched but can't find the answer. (It's a great feature to have if you have reliable broadband - but if I have no internet I can't access any of my files). I'm not a very sophisticated user so I'd appreciate any help given in simple steps! Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 3:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2020 6:45 AM

Hello LouiseMacUser,

It looks like you're encountering some issues with your files being stored on iCloud versus being stored on your Mac, and you'd like to have these files on your Mac, in the event you don't have access to the Internet. We completely understand needing full access to those files without issues, so we're happy to provide some information.

It sounds like we need to disable Desktop and Documents from iCloud Drive, if those are the files that are being stored on iCloud. When you turn this off, you'll be given an option to keep a copy of your data; this article has some information on how to turn this feature off:

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive

Be sure to reference the "Turn off Desktop and Documents" section near the bottom.

This article here also offers some information, regarding iCloud Drive:

iCloud Drive FAQ

Those articles should help with what you're experiencing.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2020 6:45 AM in response to LouiseMacUser

Hello LouiseMacUser,

It looks like you're encountering some issues with your files being stored on iCloud versus being stored on your Mac, and you'd like to have these files on your Mac, in the event you don't have access to the Internet. We completely understand needing full access to those files without issues, so we're happy to provide some information.

It sounds like we need to disable Desktop and Documents from iCloud Drive, if those are the files that are being stored on iCloud. When you turn this off, you'll be given an option to keep a copy of your data; this article has some information on how to turn this feature off:

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive

Be sure to reference the "Turn off Desktop and Documents" section near the bottom.

This article here also offers some information, regarding iCloud Drive:

iCloud Drive FAQ

Those articles should help with what you're experiencing.

Cheers!

How to get my documents back from iCloud onto my MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.