Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TC blinking amber and no access on Airport Utility

Yesterday my TC began fast blinking amber. I have tried to access the issue via Airport Utility but it doesn’t show. WiFi doesn’t show in drop down either. Tried unpluggng overnight but no change. Also tried hard reset numerous times but no luck. Also tried connecting via usb from iPhone. No luck. Any help to remedy or so I need to replace them figure out how to access files from drive later? Thanks.

Posted on May 26, 2018 5:29 AM

6 replies

May 26, 2018 6:02 AM in response to peterfromsaintpete

Yesterday my TC began fast blinking amber.

The TC will display a slow blinking amber light about once a second when it senses a problem, a setting needs to be adjusted, or a firmware update is available.

The TC should only display a fast blinking light if you are holding down the reset button on the device to perform a hard or factory reset, then the light will return to slow blinking amber when you release the reset button.

Please confirm on the display of the amber light.

WiFi doesn’t show in drop down either.

That would indicate that the WiFi radio is not broadcasting, meaning that the radio itself has failed, or there may be a power supply problem with the TC.

Tried unpluggng overnight but no change. Also tried hard reset numerous times but no luck.

Unfortunately, It is not looking good. When you say that you performed a Hard Reset, how did you do this? Was the amber light blinking quickly before you held in the reset button? The amber light should begin to blink quickly after you have held down the reset button a few seconds.

Also tried connecting via usb from iPhone.

You cannot connect to the TC this way, even if it is operating correctly.

Does your Mac have an Ethernet port that would allow you to connect the computer directly to the TC using a wired Ethernet cable connection?

Any help to remedy or so I need to replace them figure out how to access files from drive later?

We'll try to help, but if what you are reporting is true, then the TC has failed.

Do you have the "tower" shaped version of the TC, or an older "flat" or "square" version that looks like a small white pizza box? If you have an older version, we need the model number from the bottom of the TC. It is usually embedded in the foam pad base, and starts with an "A" followed by 4 numbers.

If we cannot get the TC operational, the only way that you will be able to recover the files on the TC will be to open up the TC and pull the hard drive out, then place it in a caddy or SATA to USB enclosure. If the hard drive is still working, you will be to "see" and retrieve your files.

May 26, 2018 7:11 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob the model is A1470 (tall tower). The blink is faster than once a second. When I plug it in, the light is solid for about two seconds then goes to fast blink. I can hear and feel the drive booting but nothing else happens.

I’m using a MacBook Air so unfortunately no Ethernet plug.

Sounds more and more like I’m headed to Apple today.

May 26, 2018 7:27 AM in response to peterfromsaintpete

Also hard reset was to unplug for a couple minutes then hold down the reset button while powering on for 9-10 seconds

Not a big deal, but you are describing a Factory Default Reset.

A Hard Reset is performed as follows:

Power on the Time Capsule for a minute or more

Hold in the reset button for 7-8 seconds, then release

Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

I’m using a MacBook Air so unfortunately no Ethernet plug.

A Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter is a might handy item to have in your desk drawer when you want to transfer files much more quickly than wireless will allow......and.....to help in troubleshooting issues. When wireless is not working, or is slow, you can use the wired Ethernet cable connection to make sure that things are working that way.

Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple

Sounds more and more like I’m headed to Apple today.

If the resets won't work, then unfortunately you have a defective Time Capsule.

Apple does not offer repairs on the Time Capsule, but they will replace it if it is under the 1 year warranty. If you have AppleCare in effect on one of your Macs, the Time Capsule might be covered for up to 3 years from its purchase date. The rules are tricky, so you may need to ask Apple to explain them fully.

Good luck!

May 27, 2018 5:29 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Unit was deemed DOA due to a failed piece of internal hardware. Out of warranty so $254 to replace or buy a new one for $299. With it being discontinued the question now becomes do I make the switch to cloud based storage to avoid this happening in the future and buy a mesh WiFi system or continue down this path one more time.

May 27, 2018 5:50 AM in response to peterfromsaintpete

Tough decision, since you can make "for" or "against" arguments either way.

Personally, I have a Time Capsule, but do not use it as a network router, or as my primary backup source, so the loss of the Time Capsule would not be critical.

However, if everything on the network depended on the Time Capsule as a router and as a backup source...and the Time Capsule failed.....I would probably lean toward a new router/mesh system and a new backup plan.

TC blinking amber and no access on Airport Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.