Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can someone help me for fix my Mac?

I'm trying to install os x but when I start the mac in internet recovery and try to initialize the disk, disk utility gives me several errors

Posted on May 26, 2018 7:54 AM

3 replies

May 26, 2018 8:59 AM in response to francesco105

Be sure you are choosing Device View in Disk Utility. you need to completely ERASE the new Drive, by its Hardware-name, not just the Volume (which has a user-defined name).

User uploaded file

In this example, the Hardware-name is showing as WDC800HLFS-76g6U1... (it can not be changed)

and the Volume name I gave it is "X11-Drv-80"

--------

there is an potential aside if you are installing a newer, faster drive in a MacBook pro with an older disk cable. These cables have been shown to be subject to abrasion and stress-fractures. It is good preventative maintenance to replace the drive cable when you replace the drive.

To test, initialize and Install on the new drive in an external enclosure, instead of inside the Mac. You can do the complete setup, including importing your Users an Applications on first run Using Setup Assistant.

When everything is working fine, you do the surgery to place the "known-good" drive inside your Mac. Any problems at that juncture must be cause by where it is, (i.e., its cable.)

May 26, 2018 8:25 AM in response to francesco105

Those errors could indicate anything from 'your are doing it wrong' to 'your drive is dead', or anything in between.

if you could transcribe the error messages exactly as you see them and post them here, Readers would be glad to help out.

What version of MacOS you WERE running, or what version of MacOS you are trying to install, would also help.

Can someone help me for fix my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.