Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

getting 'error' Cannot install OS X in osx utilities page

Whenever I start up my Macbook 2012 nothing opens - I just receive a O with a cross through the middle. Earlier, in Disk Utility I erased the Internal disk. Now when I go to install El Capitan, it won't let me and says there is an error. Please help as the laptop is basically rendered useless right now. Thank you

MacBook

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 11:32 AM

What is the error message you get when trying to reinstall El Capitan?

Try booting into Internet Recovery (command - option/alt - R on a restart). It is a slow process. This will install the newest OS that the computer is compatible with. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Quit Disk Utility. Then install the OS. When the computer restarts, you can use Setup Assistant to restore your data from Time Machine.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2019 11:32 AM in response to davis256

What is the error message you get when trying to reinstall El Capitan?

Try booting into Internet Recovery (command - option/alt - R on a restart). It is a slow process. This will install the newest OS that the computer is compatible with. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Quit Disk Utility. Then install the OS. When the computer restarts, you can use Setup Assistant to restore your data from Time Machine.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

Aug 23, 2019 3:50 PM in response to Eric Root

The error message reads: 'an error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again.'

I tried pressing and holding command - option r while restarting but it just shows the same white page with a O with a slash through it when it 'boots up'

I erased the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) but when I clicked option , I wasn't able to find GUID anywhere.

getting 'error' Cannot install OS X in osx utilities page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.