Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto import error

Hello all, Please help

I'm trying to import an old iPhoto library to the new Photos but keep getting the error message: "These items cannot be added to your Photo library because the file format is not supported by Photos."

This library was originally on my MacBook Pro, which was backed up on my MyCloud and now moved to iMac. I've tried everything including the update iPhoto app by Apple. I've restored Photos and tried to load it that way still nothing.

To finish the iPhoto folder is now in my Pictures folder on my iMac and has been restored using timemachine

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Daryll

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Safari 5.1.3

Posted on May 26, 2018 11:45 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

May 26, 2018 12:25 PM in response to daryll.smith

a few comments

1 - you never import a library, you open them (Photos file menu ==> open -- or drag the library to the Photo icon in the Dock)

2 - very old iPhotos (version 7 -- iPhoto '08 -- or older) libraries need to be updated prior to opening - what version of iPhoto was the library created with? iPhoto Library Upgrader 1.1

3 - there is no iCloud backup for Macs so I'm not sure exactly what you have done with your iPhoto Library but depending on what you actually did the library may have been damaged by syncing or by being on an improperly formatted volume

4 -

To finish the iPhoto folder is now in my Pictures folder on my iMac and has been restored using timemachine

This seems to conflict with previous statements - exactly what is the history of this iPhoto library and where all has it been?

5 - what version of the OS are you using now?

LN

May 27, 2018 2:26 AM in response to LarryHN

LN,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I can see my original description was maybe not the clearest I was trying to keep it brief and therefore a little less confusing, please read below I've tried to list it step by step for you.

I had iPhoto on my MacBook Pro, which was backed up running Time Machine on my WD MyCloud.

I lost my MacBook Pro through a crash, which I was unable to recover, or restore from WD MyCloud.

I was however able to access the backup to drag across my documents and the like, my old iPhoto library was one of them which I've copied into my Pictures folder on my iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015) running High Sierra 10.13.4.

Now the confusing part is the above MacBook Pro incident was a good few years ago now and I've only just realised the backup on my WD MyCloud kept the documents and apps, just wasn't bootable so I'm now trying to recover the images on my iMac.

As this was a long time ago I've since started a new Photos library on my iMac and originally tried to import said iPhoto library using the option > open packaged contents > import library which I found on an Apple help page to assist with this.

This did not work and so I tried the iPhoto Library Upgrader tool also found on an Apple help page but when I access the upgrader app and search for iPhoto library it finds it in my pictures folder but greyed out and non accessible.

I understand this is a complex and overly confusing scenario and i've tried to list as clearly as i can.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated and if you need anymore information please let me know and I will happily provide anything you need.

Daryll

May 27, 2018 7:19 AM in response to daryll.smith

Details are critical

in General you can not copy TimeMachine backups and use them, Time Machine does not clone files, it does incremental backups adn you must use the Time Machine Application to restore the files so you have a complete copy, not just pieces - until you restore your ibrary usig the TM application you do not have a valid library to use

You may be able to start over by copying the masters (or originals depending on the version) folder and importing those Photos into a new library

LN

May 28, 2018 12:41 AM in response to LarryHN

LN,

What details do require? I didn't copy the time machine backup, it has stayed on the WD MyCloud since creation, I entered that backup via my iMac and selected the iPhoto icon and right click > restore file to.

I feel we're getting bogged down with time machine and not actually on the problem at hand, restoring my iPhoto library within Photos. Nothing needs moving or anything now the iPhoto library is on my iMac in my pictures folder.

Please advise

Daryll

May 28, 2018 8:48 AM in response to daryll.smith

you stated

I was however able to access the backup to drag across my documents and the like, my old iPhoto library was one of them which I've copied into my Pictures folder on my iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015) running High Sierra 10.13.4.

now you state

, I entered that backup via my iMac and selected the iPhoto icon and right click > restore file to.

So what exactly did you really do? And did you use the Time Machine Application to restore the library - that is the only way to restore a Time Machine backup as posted

you must use the Time Machine Application to restore the files so you have a complete copy, not just pieces - until you restore your ibrary usig the TM application you do not have a valid library to use

LN

May 28, 2018 11:19 AM in response to daryll.smith

LN,

Good point, again I wasn't very clear and honestly I don't really know what I done (I tend to use both methods, always from within TM though as this is my only source of backups), if i'm honest I never realised there was a difference I assumed once I've moved it across to where I want it to be it should work.

However I've just entered TM and used the restore method and then done the option key open mentioned by Terence above and it reads: The library could not be opened. The library could not be recognised.

Is there anyway to repair this library?

I hope this makes it a little clearer

Daryll

May 31, 2018 11:05 AM in response to LarryHN

LN,

I've just noticed that if I look at the package contents of my currently working Photos library it has the following folders:

Attachments

Database

Masks

Masters

Plugins

Private

Resources

However on the old iPhoto library it only has:

Attachments

Auto Imports

Database

however does also have the following xml file: AlbumData.xml and the following iPhotoLock.data file as well

Don't know if this is relevant, I realise the above posts are misleading, that was not my intention though and I didn't really pay that much attention to how I got the iPhoto library in to my iMac Pictures folder.

Regards

Daryll

iPhoto import error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.