Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook (2006 - running 10.6.8) Won't Use AC Power

All of a sudden, my 12 year old MacBook stopped recognizing the AC power source. I've checked the outlets and tried different adapters (all known to be working) but still no functionality. The battery is working but won't last forever and can't charge it independently. Bottom of the computer is hot by the ports but fan is operating.

Saw another thread where somebody asked about this but the responses drifted to adapter and battery issues rather than the power controller and I can't find any articles on how to troubleshoot that.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), intel core duo (late 2006 - black)

Posted on May 26, 2018 1:57 PM

2 replies

May 27, 2018 4:31 AM in response to SKGSOL

It sounds like your MacBook MagSafe DC-In Board must be changed.

At least cleaning it for dust couldn't hurt.

If you feel able, you can try to get the part and change it yourself.

MacBook Core 2 Duo Magsafe Board Replacement - iFixit

Still...you said testing with AC adapters known to be working, it wouldn't hurt checking if they are actually working.

They can go without warning.

May 29, 2018 11:27 AM in response to VinceDaVinci

Vince,

Thank you for that suggestion. I had come to that conclusion myself and was arranging to either buy the part or cannibalize one from another MacBook I'd given to an IT friend for parts (he never used since he's a PC guy).

Before doing that, I took your advice and did one more check with an AC adapter at a store and it actually worked! Of course, when I got home, neither of my adapters worked so I figured your were right and they both suddenly failed.

Sometime back, I'd found a brand new AC adapter on clearance for $20 and purchased it as a spare for my dad. He never opened it so, in another example of backsies, asked if I could relieve him of it. Went to get it yesterday and brought my current one along to test on his computer. The new one worked perfectly and, lo and behold, so did my old one. I've got them both now but I'm still using the original one while the new one is in ready reserve.

I don't know why.

My weird guess is that the new one (not the service adapter at the store) had some combination of perfectly clean contacts (mind you, I still have the plastic cap on mine and always use it) and lowest resistance so that the power supplied was optimal and it somehow got past some issue which fixed the glitch for all. My oldest AC adapter still failed so I discarded it. I don't know how long the current adapter will work and don't know if the board is still an issue waiting to completely fail but hopefully I'll get that parts computer before I need it.

Thanks!

MacBook (2006 - running 10.6.8) Won't Use AC Power

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.