Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing smart albums thumbnail

Under the My Albums tab/drop-down list, on the side panel of Photos on my Mac. I have several smart albums I made of various years. One of these years, I would like to have a different thumbnail be the key photo of it rather than the one that was automatically assigned to it when I made the album (default first photo in album). After I find the photo I want to have the cover of that album be, I right-click it, but the option that says Make Key Photo is grayed out.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), null

Posted on May 26, 2018 3:05 PM

7 replies

May 27, 2018 4:05 AM in response to Trackx

The smart albums are showing the gears icon in the sidebar, but a key photo from the album with the gears icon in the lower left corner, when viewing the albums in the Albums view (View > Albums).

When viewed this way, the key photo will be the last (most recent) photo in the album. Sometimes I am forcing a different key photo by simply duplicating the photo I want to see as the key photo. To make this copy the last photo in the smart album I add 1000 years to the date of the copy.

For example: Three smart albums in the Album view. The last two albums are having custom key photos.

User uploaded file

Jun 1, 2018 10:52 PM in response to Trackx

The gear icon is in both places for me.

Yes, but only the albums view will show the key photos as the thumbnail.

When I duplicate the photo I want and change the date, it removes itself from Smart Album I have it in.

If your smart albums are solely based an the capture date, change the date of the duplicate to the last possible date that matches the date and time for the smart album.but write the correct capture date into the description field, so can look it up.

My smart albums are mostly based on keywords, so the dates do not matter. To see all photos from 2013 I am using the years view in Photos.

Changing smart albums thumbnail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.