Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manually Type Name of Album in Photos Smart Album Criteria?

My client's MacOS Photos app has a very complex hierarchical album structure (lots of albums within folders within folders).

Therefore when I create or edit a Smart Album, and I choose "album is / is not" as a criterion, I then have to mouse through the hierarchy to find the target album.

Is there a way to enter the album name manually, or at least type the first letters of the album name, to start narrowing down the list, or bring me there quickly?

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 10:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 11:35 PM

When I type the first letters of the album name quickly, Photos will jump to the first album with the matching name. But I am using the most recent system version. I do not remember which upgrade introduced this. Which system version is running on the Mac of your client?

With a long list of albums it helps a lot to groups the albums with enclosing folders and subfolders. Then we just need a few clicks to drill down through the folders and to get to the album we want. For example - I have grouped my travel pictures by enclosing folders for the decade, then for the year and need just three clicks to reach any album, when I know the year.

I have the same pictures in albums according to the state, and drill down the folders Continent > Country > State to find the albums with pictures taken in that state:

As the albums are already organised on your client's Mac, it might be easy to find a suitable set of nested folders to make them easier to find in dialogs.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2021 11:35 PM in response to Doc Crumble

When I type the first letters of the album name quickly, Photos will jump to the first album with the matching name. But I am using the most recent system version. I do not remember which upgrade introduced this. Which system version is running on the Mac of your client?

With a long list of albums it helps a lot to groups the albums with enclosing folders and subfolders. Then we just need a few clicks to drill down through the folders and to get to the album we want. For example - I have grouped my travel pictures by enclosing folders for the decade, then for the year and need just three clicks to reach any album, when I know the year.

I have the same pictures in albums according to the state, and drill down the folders Continent > Country > State to find the albums with pictures taken in that state:

As the albums are already organised on your client's Mac, it might be easy to find a suitable set of nested folders to make them easier to find in dialogs.

Manually Type Name of Album in Photos Smart Album Criteria?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.