Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't open pdfs or screenprints from finder

all of a sudden i can't open pdfs or screenprints from finder (message says i lack permission to open docs but command-i shows i have read & write permission). i can see docs w/ command y. i have a macbook pro running os x el capitan v 10.11.6.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on May 26, 2018 2:33 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

May 27, 2018 8:31 AM in response to yankeedude-l

after reading a lot of similar problems, it seemed like most responses showed this was just some kind of computer confusion, NOT a computer catastrophe.

since i did have a lot of tabs open on firefox (where the pdfs and screen prints that couldn't be opened were generated), i wound up force quitting out of firefox (aha! another clue!!!), as well as quitting out of word & excel (saving the docs first) & itunes. then i restarted the computer to be safe.

predictably, i am now able to open the docs without problem. i'm pretty sure it was some kind of glitch with firefox (rather than the finder). no idea what the specific CAUSE was (other than too much going on) but the old stay calm & restart came through!!!

can't open pdfs or screenprints from finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.