Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to take screenshots and read pdfs in Safari

From any website in Safari in which there is a link to a pdf, I can read it online.

Near the bottom of the page there is an icon to enlarge, make smaller, view in Preview or download.

If I press the next to last icon (from the right) in order to see it as a pdf, I get a triangular warning saying, "The file xxx couldn't be opened because you don't have permissions to view it.

To view or change permissions, select the item in the finder and chose File > Get Info."

I try to take a screenshot with command shift 3 or 4 of this dialogue box or anything else in Sfari, I hear a click, but cannot find the screenshot anywhere on my hard disk.

I attach a screenshot of the file. This screenshot opens in Preview and I can name it and save it where I want.

>>I am unable to attach the screenshot. If I drag it into this dialogue, I shows a link to my hard disk.

If I press on the next to last icon on this message's toolbar at the bottom and navigate to the file, it is greyed out

I use Safari 15.5, OSX 11.6.6, Preview 11.0

Please help. Thank you. Tommy

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 9:17 AM

Thanks Luis

It doesn't work. I navigate to the file but clicking it does nothing. It seems greyed out

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 20, 2022 5:10 PM in response to tommmy

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Jun 21, 2022 9:16 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks @Old Toad

Not much luck. Screen shot worked in Safe Boot but not after restarting. After restarting normally I could hear the click at command shift 4 but Preview didn't open and I couldn't find a trace

I was unable to open a pdf directly from Safari in either situation

At quick look in mail I can see the pdf but I get the triangular warning about permissions when I press "Open in Peview"

In short Safe Mode didn't help

I tried clicking space on a pdf in the finder and was able to open that file in Preview as expected. I only tried it after rebooting but that would indicate that my problems are in Mail and Safari. (Firefox doesn't offer the option to view a pdf, only to download it)

I still can't insert a screenshot of my permissions

Jun 21, 2022 9:43 AM in response to tommmy

tommmy wrote:

Thanks Luis

It doesn't work. I navigate to the file but clicking it does nothing. It seems greyed out

You can insert png or jpeg files, but not pdf.

Also, the fact that things work in Safe Mode means that there is something you have installed that is causing the problem.

To know what it may be, Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Unable to take screenshots and read pdfs in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.