How to take a screenshot on safari without the toolbar in fullscreen mode?

I always use Safari in fullscreen mode. I always have the "Always show toolbar in Full screen" option unticked, to maximize screen real estate, it's in menu View, top line.

Whenever I try to take a screenshot with "Capture selected window", or Command+Shift+4+space, I would expect to have the entire screen captured without the toolbar as I have hidden it. But to my surprise, the result image always includes the toolbar, which shows all the tabs I have opened, and I don't want the recipient to see those tabs. This is confusing because the toolbar is not even showing on the screen, but the screenshot still has the toolbar!? Please see the photos below:

This is my actual screen: (as I'm writing this post)

And this is what I get after hitting Command+Shift+4+Space, aka, Capture selected window:

I'm not sure but I might as well point out that I'm using a Macbook Air 2022, with a notch, which might has something to do with this(?)

Thank you!

MacBook Air, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 3:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 1:07 PM

Hi there longnhatking,

If capturing a window or menu is showing more information than you would prefer, then we would recommend following one of the other methods to take a screenshot on your Mac from here: Take a screenshot on your Mac

We are also always open to feedback on our products and services and would encourage you to submit yours about taking screenshots here: Feedback - macOS - Apple

Take care!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2023 1:07 PM in response to longnhatking.

Hi there longnhatking,

If capturing a window or menu is showing more information than you would prefer, then we would recommend following one of the other methods to take a screenshot on your Mac from here: Take a screenshot on your Mac

We are also always open to feedback on our products and services and would encourage you to submit yours about taking screenshots here: Feedback - macOS - Apple

Take care!

Jun 8, 2023 1:21 PM in response to longnhatking.

I cannot replicate your issue. with my menubar and safari toolbar hidden in full screen, I take a full screen screenshot, and both the menubar and safari's toolbar are not seen in that screenshot. I would suggest that you try and Start up your Mac in safe mode and test. if it works in safe mode, run the Mac in safe mode for a few minutes. then you can restart your Mac normally and test again. if the issue doesn't happen in safe mode, but reappears after leaving safe mode, please inform us and we can move forward from there.

Jun 9, 2023 5:36 AM in response to longnhatking.

longnhatking. wrote:

Hi! Thanks for trying.

you're welcome.

Question: did you capture your screen with "Command shift 3" or "Command shift 4 space"?

I actually tried both. and using both methods, safari's toolbar was not seen in either screenshot. but it was shown when I used "Command shift 4 space" while safari was not full screen. is that what we are talking about?

And does your mac have a notch?

no, it does not. but my aunt bought a new M2 MBA about two months ago and when I saw how fast it was, I played around with it for a while. I wanted to see how it compared against my intel iMac. so I did some screenshots, screen recordings, and movie recordings. those are what a large chunk of what I use my iMac for. and the toolbar was not appearing in any of the screen grabs. so I am sure the notch is not the issue.

as of now, i'm thinking you should download and run the free version of EtreCheck so we can see if you have some software installed that is causing your issue. make sure you give "full disk access" to etrecheck. Learn how to use it by reading Using EtreCheck. if you need help interpreting the report, you can see how to post the report here by reading How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report. and it automatically obscures sensitive things (like serial numbers) so you don't have to worry about sharing the report here.

Jun 11, 2023 12:44 AM in response to longnhatking.

Hi all!

Update:

I wanted to make sure if my Mac was the only one that does this, so I went to a shop that Apple listed on their website as an Authorized Reseller in my country. I tested 3 Macs there, a Macbook Pro M1 2021 16 inch with a notch, a Macbook Pro M2 2022 without a notch, and of course, one that's identical to mine, a Macbook Air M2 2022 with a notch.

After configuring the 3 Macs exactly like mine: Have the Menu bar and the Safari toolbar to automatically hide, I proceeded to using Command+Shift+4+Space to capture the selected window, which contained neither of the bars.

Result:

The Macbook Pro M1 2021 and the Macbook Air M2 2022 both include the Safari toolbar in the screen shot even though the bar wasn't actually in the window captured (So it's a bit relief to learn that my Mac isn't going crazy). The Macbook Pro M2 2022, the one without the notch, actually did the job properly, producing a screenshot without the toolbar, containing exactly what's in the captured window.

So I am pretty sure by now that the Macs with the notch are going to do this regardless of screen size. An employee at that shop I went to tried to help me with a workaround of pressing Command+Shift+4, not the Space, and then manually scale the screen the leave out the toolbar, which is time consuming 🙄

How to take a screenshot on safari without the toolbar in fullscreen mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.